Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
I've tried to make up two sentences with the same meaning. Are they both OK and which version is better?

1 As there is an infinite number of galaxies which each contain an infinite number of planets, the likelihood that aliens exist somewhere out there is very, very high.

2 As there is an endless amount of galaxies that each have an endless amount of planets, the existence of aliens living somewhere out there can practically be taken for granted.

nigele2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Do228, a subject very close to my heart. But to talk about an infinite number concerns me. I would prefer "approaching an infinite number" or something similar. I'm assuming here that we are limiting ourselves to the known universe.

As for which I prefer I'd say a bit of both.

As there is a close to infinite number of galaxies which each contain a close to infinite number of planets, the existence of aliens living somewhere out there can practically be taken for granted.

Amount is often used for things that cannot be counted. Numbers for things that can be counted.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There seems to be some misunderstanding of the concept of infinity.

1) It doesn't make any sense to say close to infinite, or approaching an infinite number.

2) It is not true (and logically impossible) that each galaxy in the cosmos contains an infinite number of planets.

3) To suggest that there is an infinite number of galaxies is to suggest that the cosmos has infinite mass, which goes against all our current observations and theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.