Insurance company is waiting for the time limit to over to file claim so that they don't have to pat the doctor.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) Insurance company is waiting for the time limit to over to file claims so, that they don't have to pat the doctor.
2) Insurance company is waiting for the time limit to be over to file claims so, that they don't have to pat the doctor.

Please check my sentences.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Start the sentences with an article. The sentences don't make sense. Claims are filed by the insured, not the insurance company. What do you mean by "pat the doctor"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm guessing he means "pay the doctor". You are right, of course. Insurance companies don't file claims. So what's he trying to say?

@tufguy The word you are looking for is "deadline ". (I'm pretty sure the word is the same everywhere.) Perhaps: "The insurance company is waiting for the deadline to pass so they don't have to pay the doctor." (I'm not saying that really makes sense.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) Insurance company is waiting for the time limit to over to file claims so, that they don't have to pat the doctor.
2) Insurance company is waiting for the time limit to be over to file claims so, that they don't have to pat the doctor.

Please check my sentences.

Start the sentences with an article. The sentences don't make sense. Claims are filed by the insured, not the insurance company. What do you mean by "pat the doctor"?
) The insurance company is waiting for the time limit to over to file claims so, that they don't have to pay the doctor.
2) The insurance company is waiting for the time limit to be over to file claims so, that they don't have to pay the doctor.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm guessing he means "pay the doctor". You are right, of course. Insurance companies don't file claims. So what's he trying to say?

@tufguy The word you are looking for is "deadline ". (I'm pretty sure the word is the same everywhere.) Perhaps: "The insurance company is waiting for the deadline to pass so they don't have to pay the doctor." (I'm not saying that really makes sense.)
Can we use here "over" as well? If "yes" then should it be proceeded by "to be" or "to" only?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@tufguy I don't think that's the way it's said. (Maybe some people use "over". I'm not 100% certain.) As has already been stated, insurers don't file claims.

Maybe some people somewhere say the deadline is over. Do you want to say they waited for the deadline to be over? Why would the claimant do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The claimant needs to file the claim by the deadline to have any hope of a payout.
The insurance companies hope that claimants fail to claim by the deadline so that they (the insurance companies) don't have to pay out any money.
The insurance companies are happy if the deadline passes and they don't receive a claim [from the insured person].

@tufguy Do you still work for an insurance company? If so, you really need to get a handle on the terminology.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When I lived in India I noticed that Indian English is fond of using over to indicate that something which was the case or was true in the past no longer is. That said, I agree with @emsr2d2.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@tufguy I don't think that's the way it's said. (Maybe some people use "over". I'm not 100% certain.) As has already been stated, insurers don't file claims.

Maybe some people somewhere say the deadline is over. Do you want to say they waited for the deadline to be over? Why would the claimant do that?
I meant, Insurance company wants the deadline to pass so, that they don't have to payout.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant THE Insurance company wants the deadline to pass so, that they don't have to PAY THE CLAIM.
But isn't that what they're in business to do -- at least in part? Paying claims is part of the business, isn't it? Paying claims is part of the business. If an insurance company stopped doing that how long would they stay in business?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant no comma here that the insurance company wants the deadline to pass so no comma here that they don't have to payout pay out.
Note my corrections above.

Payout (noun)
Pay out (verb)

Note that saying that the company wants the deadline to pass makes more sense than your original, in which you said they waited for it to pass. Waiting for it to pass would require them to know that one of the people they insure has suffered an event that they could file a claim for. If the claimant didn't file a claim before the deadline, the insurance company wouldn't know anything had happened so they wouldn't be waiting for anything.
However, I suspect I know what you're trying to get at. Here's a scenario (tell me if I've got the right idea):

On January 16th, I was involved in a car accident that wasn't my fault. I rang my insurance company the same day and they took down the basic details and told me that I had to submit the full insurance claim (completed form, photos etc) by February 16th. So - there is a record of my phone call on the insurance company's system and they're waiting for the claim paperwork. Either I file the paperwork in time or I don't. The ball is entirely in my court at this point. The insurance company doesn't spend the next 30 days literally waiting for my paperwork! On February 17th, someone at the insurance company probably gets an automated alert that the deadline for my claim has expired so they close my file.