Is “bubbling” a noun or participle form of bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The Cabinet Office said ministers from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland had endorsed a "shared objective of facilitating some limited additional household bubbling for a small number of days". If it is noun, does that mean “to gather”?

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I guess in the context of the covid-19 pandemic, a bubble is the strictly limited social circle with whom a person can have contact while still limiting risk. I'm a poor gramnarian but I'd call bubbling a participle or a gerund rather than a noun.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Cabinet Office said ministers from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland had endorsed a "shared objective of facilitating some limited additional household bubbling for a small number of days". If it is noun, does that mean “to gather”?

"Bubbling" is clearly a gerund (a noun formed from [verb+ing]), not a participle, in that phrase.

The noun/gerund "bubbling" is modified by adjectives, as nouns can be but verbs cannot. It is also introduced by the quantifier "some."

In the context of the article, there should be a hyphen between "additional" and "household": "some limited additional-household bubbling."

The meaning is that some bubbling involving additional households is to be facilitated to a limited extent during the holiday season.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
The Cabinet Office said ministers from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland had endorsed a "shared objective of facilitating some limited additional household bubbling for a small number of days.

I'd go along with what Phaedrus says.

Further evidence of nounhood comes from the fact that "bubbling" can take an of PP, as in the bubbling of year groups.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I read it as:
...shared objective of facilitating some limited additional household bubbling for a small number of days.

rather than

...shared objective of facilitating some limited additional household bubbling for a small number of days.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I read it as:

rather than

It's hard to tell which was intended but if it's the second, "additional-household" needs to be hyphenated.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The meaning is that the number of households that can form a bubble is going up from two to three.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The meaning is that the number of households that can form a bubble is going up from two to three.

It's still only an objective- don't get your hopes up.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I didn't make myself clear. I understood the main meaning. However, I don't know if the writer intended it to be read as:

1. "additional + household bubbling"
2. "additional-household + bubbling"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I didn't make myself clear. I understood the main meaning. However, I don't know if the writer intended it to be read as:

1. "additional + household bubbling"
2. "additional-household + bubbling"

I don't follow. You were suggesting that you didn't understand because your numbers 1 and 2 have different meanings.

My post was meant to point out that the writer means what you're representing with sentence 2. The word additional relates to household, not bubbling. The person quoted was talking about one additional household, not additional bubbling.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word additional relates to household, not bubbling. The person quoted was talking about one additional household, not additional bubbling.

Apart from adding a hyphen between "additional" and "household," it's difficult to think of a clearer way to state the gerund phrase. This is the best I can do:

". . . ministers endorsed a shared objective of endorsing some limited bubbling together of additional households for a small number of days . . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.