Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is "disease" uncountable?

Which one is correct?

1. I have performed research on a vast range of subjects, among which cardiovascular diseases have been the most difficult.

2. I have performed research on a vast range of subjects, among which cardiovascular disease have been the most difficult.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's back up a bit. First of all, are you thinking about cardiovascular disease(s) as one single subject? In both sentences or only the first? I think you are in at least one of the sentences, in which case change have to has where appropriate.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Let's back up a bit. First of all, are you thinking about cardiovascular disease(s) as one single subject? In both sentences or only the first? I think you are in at least one of the sentences, in which case change have to has where appropriate.

It's a single subject but it includes a number of different disorders. In fact, I have worked on various disorders which are categorized as cardiovascular.

What about here?

1. Cardiovascular field includes studying different disease.
2. Cardiovascular field includes studying different diseases.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
One question at a time, please.

Firstly, as I said, if you consider there to be a single subject, then you need to use has, not have. Secondly, the word diseases in sentence 1 of post #1 and also in sentence 2 of post #3 is in plural form, right? So does that mean it's countable or uncountable?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
One question at a time, please.

Firstly, as I said, if you consider there to be a single subject, then you need to use has, not have. Secondly, the word diseases in sentence 1 of post #1 and also in sentence 2 of post #3 is in plural form, right? So does that mean it's countable or uncountable?

I don't know. I want to find out if sentence 2 in post #3 is correct.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In post #3, 1 is wrong and 2 is right.

However, Cardiovascular field is wrong in both sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.