Is Every 2 Weeks OK to Take the Accent Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanShepLuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
For example I made an appointment for 1 teacher who teaches Estuary English this week, then next week is another teacher for speech/modern RP class. Then back and fourth. Do you think it should still be fine? I want to learn both.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For example, I have made an appointment [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] with [STRIKE]1[/STRIKE] a teacher who teaches Estuary English this week, then next week [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] with another teacher for speech/modern RP class, and then back and [STRIKE]fourth[/STRIKE] forth with the two of them. Do you think it [STRIKE]should still[/STRIKE] will be [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] OK? I want to learn both.

Note my corrections above.

I wouldn't try to learn both at the same time, which is effectively what you'll be doing. I'd concentrate on one at a time - maybe have one lesson a week for a few months and then, once you're happy and confident with it, move onto the other one. I think you might end up confusing your brain and your mouth!

GermanShepLuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Note my corrections above.

I wouldn't try to learn both at the same time, which is effectively what you'll be doing. I'd concentrate on one at a time - maybe have one lesson a week for a few months and then, once you're happy and confident with it, move onto the other one. I think you might end up confusing your brain and your mouth!

would twice a week be ok if I only need Estuary for acting purposes and the other one for speech? I wouldn’t be using Estuary daily uses

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would twice a week be [STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK if I only need Estuary for acting purposes and the other one for speech? I wouldn’t be using Estuary for daily [STRIKE]uses[/STRIKE] use.

It's impossible for us to say. We don't know where you're starting from. We don't know how fast a learner you are. We don't know how best you learn.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Tony Blair was famously Estuary when speaking to British audiences, but more Brideshead Revisited when abroad. It is possible to be an accent chameleon, but it is not that easy. And Tony Blair's Estuary English was unconvincing. His Cockney was embarrassing.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is possible to be an accent chameleon, but it is not that easy.

It ranges from extremely easy for some people to impossible for others.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Definitely- it is a talent some have.

GermanShepLuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Definitely- it is a talent some have.
In your personal opinion does every 2 weeks sounds doable if I want to learn 2 kinds of British accents? 1 week for 1 and the other one for next week back and fourth?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
GermanShepLuv, are you sure your native language is English, as shown in your member profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.