[Idiom] Is it acceptable to say How are you THOSE days? when initiating a letter to a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidtao

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Taiwan
It is common practice to say Howou are you these days instead of HOw are you those days. BUt I am wondering if "those days" is acceptable to a English language native speaker. Thanks for your comments.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is common practice to say "Howou are you?" these days instead of "H[STRIKE]O[/STRIKE]ow are you?" those days. It isn't.
B[STRIKE]U[/STRIKE]ut I am wondering if "those days" is acceptable to a English language native speaker. No.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Demonstrating the importance of punctuation
It is common practice to say "How are you these days?" instead of "How are you those days?"

I agree that it's reasonably common, after greeting someone you have not seen in a long time, to say "How are you these days?" especially if they were (perhaps) going through some difficulty when you last saw them. "Oh, my dog made a full recovery, my son was acquitted of all charges, and my mistress turned out not to be pregnant, so it's all good, thanks."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Demonstrating the importance of punctuation.
Indeed it is. I genuinely had no idea that the 'these/those days' was meant to be part of the greeting/question.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"How were you those days" is perhaps acceptable if the conversation goes something like:

A: I was sick for a week, and after that I had to pass a whole bunch of exams.
B. And how were you those days?

Meaning "And how was your health during your exams?". But it's a pretty careless usage. In any case, "those days" refers to the past, not the present.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"How were you those days" is perhaps acceptable if the conversation goes something like:

Meaning "And how was your health during your exams?". But it's a pretty careless usage. In any case, "those days" refers to the past, not the present.

There might be a Canadian English vs British English difference there, but in the situation you suggested, I would say "How were you in those days?" or simply "How were you then?"

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, I did say it would be a careless usage. The thing I really wanted to point out is that "these days" marks the present or the immediate future (the formal "presently", so to speak), while "those days" marks the only the past -- and does not seem natural for the remote future, either.

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel

It is more common to say: How are you these days? instead of : How are you those days?

these days refers to present ,but those days refers to the past.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There might be a Canadian English vs British English difference there, but in the situation you suggested, I would say "How were you in those days?" or simply "How were you then?"

:up: But a flat prohibition of the words 'those days' doesn't work; we don't want to give the impression that 'those days' is always unnatural-sounding. Sometimes there's not, as in Br Eng, a requirement for 'in'. A history book, for example, could say 'Those days were a testing time for the alliance'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.