Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "is off to a shameless start" mean "is crazy as to have had a shameless start"?

======================
McEnany is off to a shameless start at Trump's White House, but she's better than nothing
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany is dishonoring her position. But her press briefings establish a record on which to judge Donald Trump.

-from USAToday
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...e-claims-trump-white-house-column/3090674001/

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. When we say something is "off to a/an [adjective] start", we simply means it's started in that particular way.

He's off to a good start = He's started well.
He's off to a bad start = He's started badly.

Something McEnany did right at the beginning indicated to the writer that she is shameless.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. When we say something is "off to a/an [adjective] start", we simply means it's started in that particular way.

He's off to a good start = He's started well.
He's off to a bad start = He's started badly.

Something McEnany did right at the beginning indicated to the writer that she is shameless.
And "right at the beginning" means "at the very beginning" — not "correctly at the beginning."

(I misread it at first.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And "right at the beginning" means "at the very beginning" — not "correctly at the beginning."

(I misread it at first.)

Apologies to anyone else who misread it. I'm so used to using "right at the start/right at the end/right in the middle/right on time" etc that I just overlooked the fact that "right" could be read to mean "correct". Generally, on this forum, I use "correct" rather than "right" for that very reason.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And better than nothing contrasts her with the previous White House Press Secretary who didn't do such briefings.

Status
Not open for further replies.