Is the color of the house red? Or is it white?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

"Or" is a conjunction, not an adverb, so it cannot join two independent clauses. What should be used instead of "or"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the color of the house red, or is it white?

You think that's an ungrammatical sentence, right?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your question

"Or" is a conjunction, not an adverb, so it cannot join two independent clauses.
What should be used instead of "or"?

That's not quite right. Conjunctions, especially coordinating conjunctions (FANBOYS) very much can join independent clauses.

He's a student, but I'm a teacher. Do you want to go to the movies, or would you rather play a video game?

Also, you're referring to conjunctive adverbs. Regular adverbs don't join anything.

What you really seem to be asking is if it's okay to begin a sentence with a coordinating conjunction. Purists might say no, but many grammarians argue that it's perfectly acceptable. Grammarian opinion aside, you'll find it's widely done.

In my personal opinion, it's okay IF it's done well, and for a purpose, on a limited basis. However, I frequently see students abuse it. Last semester I had a student do this with just about every other sentence because he hyper-corrected after I discussed comma splices. He was unclear on comma usage with coordinating conjunctions, so he avoided the issue by using periods and beginning the next sentence with them. If it becomes distracting, then it's not okay.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who argue that it's never okay to begin a sentence with a coordinating conjunction.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The first one:
This is correct. But that is incorrect.
This is correct. However, that is incorrect

The second one:
Is this correct? Or is that correct?
Is this correct? ___ is that correct?

Purists use "however" in place of "but" in the first one.
I wonder what purists use instead of "or" in the second one.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first one:
This is correct. But that is incorrect.
This is correct. However, that is incorrect.
They are both okay, but for the first one I would say, "This is correct, but that is not."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say, "Is this correct, or is that correct?" Except, of course, I wouldn't say that.

I don't understand the rest of it.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Or" is a conjunction, not an adverb, so it cannot join two independent clauses.
If conjunctions couldn't join independent clauses, then compound sentences would not exist. But they do exist. Therefore, it is not true that conjunctions cannot join independent clauses. They can. For example, we can use the sentences (independent clauses) "Today is Wednesday" and "Tomorrow is Thursday." But we can also say. "Today is Wednesday, and tomorrow is Thursday." In that sentence, two independent clauses are joined with the conjunction "and."
Purists use "however" in place of "but" in the first one.
Do you consider Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln purists? I think that many people would.

Thomas Jefferson begins a sentence with "But" in the first paragraph of the Declaration of Independence, one of the most important documents in U.S. history.

Abraham Lincoln begins an entire paragraph with "But" in the Gettysburg Address, one of the most famous and grammatically elegant speeches in U.S. history.

Last edited:

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"Or" is a conjunction, not an adverb, so it cannot join two independent clauses. What should be used instead of "or"?
You have bought into a grammatical myth, GoldfishLord. There is nothing inherently wrong with joining independent clauses with a coordinating conjunction. Almost all compound sentences are formed in precisely that way!

Sentences can also begin with a coordinating conjunction. Generally speaking, it is just another way of forming a compound sentence. I personally would be likely to use "Or" to introduce a separate sentence when the sentences (independent clauses) being coordinated with "Or" are somewhat lengthy questions:

Will John go to the picnic and surprise all his relatives with the new car he is driving? Or will he opt to stay home, sleep in, and make breakfast for his girlfriend?

Last edited:

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I personally would be likely to use "Or" to introduce...
If using "is", what is the difference? I personally is likely to use "Or" to introduce...

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If using "is", what is the difference? I personally is likely to use "Or" to introduce...
Kontol, the first person singular present form of the verb be is am.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either:

You are ....

Or:

I am ....

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the color of the house red? Or was it painted some other color?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That's not quite right. Conjunctions, especially coordinating conjunctions (FANBOYS) very much can join independent clauses.

In my personal opinion, it's okay IF it's done well, and for a purpose, on a limited basis. However, I frequently see students abuse it. Last semester I had a student do this with just about every other sentence because he hyper-corrected after I discussed comma splices. He was unclear on comma usage with coordinating conjunctions, so he avoided the issue by using periods and beginning the next sentence with them. If it becomes distracting, then it's not okay.
1. It seems to me that "very much" doesn't mean "to a very great degree". What does it mean in the given context?
2. What is the role of "with"?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. It seems to me that "very much" doesn't mean "to a very great degree". What does it mean in the given context? It does mean 'to a great extent'. It's another way of saying 'absolutely'.
2. What is the role of "with"? It's a preposition starting a prepositional phrase.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

1—used for emphasis
  • The company is still very much an important part of the community.
  • She is very much in control of the situation.
2: to a very great degree or extent
  • Thank you very much.
  • Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.
—often used in negative statements
  • I didn't like the food very much.
  • "Did you like the movie?" "Not very much

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/very much

1. Are you saying that the use of "very much" fits sense 2? It seems to me that it fits sense 1.
What do you say?
2. What is the meaning of "with"?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Are you saying that the use of "very much" fits sense 2? It seems to me that it fits sense 1.
What do you say?

It's sort of a combination of #1 and #2. I don't think the distinction is critical. Forget that I used it, since it's distracting you.

2. What is the meaning of "with"?

The usual meaning of 'with' - no special usage here.