Is there a proverb, cliché, or idiom used to describe something like “Saying that I’m

Status
Not open for further replies.

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Is there a proverb, cliché, or idiom used to describe something like “Saying that I’m crazy, others just laugh at me; I laugh at others for the Truth they cannot see.”

I have made some sentences to help you understand what I try to say. All the sentences below just try to describe the same thing I am looking for.

1. “The people thought I was insane, but they don’t really understand me.”
2. “People laugh at me for being crazy. I laugh at them for not being able to open their eyes to the real world.”
3. “While others are teasing at my madness, I am laughing at their shortsightedness.”
4. “Others may laugh at me for being crazy, but I laugh at them for they cannot understand.”
5. “Others laugh at me because they think I am crazy, but I laugh at them because they don't see the true meaning of it.”
6. “Everybody regards me as crazy, however, I laugh at them without understanding me.”

Hope it helps you understand what I try to express.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Is there a proverb, cliché, or idiom used to describe something like “Saying that

Is there a proverb, cliché no comma here or idiom used to describe something like “Saying that I’m crazy, others just laugh at me; I laugh at others for the truth they cannot see"?

I have [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] written some sentences to help you understand what I am trying to say. All the sentences below just try to describe [STRIKE]the same thing[/STRIKE] what I am looking for.

1. “The people thought I was insane, but they don’t really understand me.”
2. “People laugh at me for being crazy. I laugh at them for not being able to open their eyes to the real world.”
3. “While others are teasing [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] me for my madness, I am laughing at their shortsightedness.”
4. “Others may laugh at me for being crazy, but I laugh at them for they cannot understand.”
5. “Others laugh at me because they think I am crazy, but I laugh at them because they don't see the true meaning of it.”
6. “Everybody regards me as crazy. However, I laugh at them [STRIKE]without[/STRIKE] for not understanding me.”

Hope it helps you understand what I try to express.

Thanks in advance.

1. Grammatically correct.
2. Grammatically correct.
3. See my corrections.
4. Grammatically correct but we rarely use "for" to mean "because" these days. It sounds old-fashioned.
5. It's not clear what "it" refers to at the end.
6. See my corrections.

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Re: Is there a proverb, cliché, or idiom used to describe something like “Saying that

Thanks.
Can you think of any proverbs that I am looking for?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I can think of these:

- You're crazy like a fox.
- There's a method to your madness. [FONT=arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I can think of these:

- You're crazy like a fox.
- There's a method to your madness.

Neither of them is a proverb, though.

I think, theol, that you are going to be disappointed if you want a proverb, idiom or any other (simple) saying to cover "People laugh because they think I'm crazy, but actually I am privy to some "truth" that everyone else is unaware of". That's a convoluted and uncommon scenario so it's hardly surprising that we don't feel the need to have a saying that expresses it.

It might help if we knew what you were actually talking about. What is the crazy behaviour that causes people to laugh at you? What is this "truth" that they don't understand?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Neither of them is a proverb, though. . . .
No, but they're certainly cliches.

There's also: You march to a different drummer.

Again, a cliche, not a proverb.

Status
Not open for further replies.