Isaac remembered "Threatning my father and mother Smith to burne them and the house over them"

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For nine years, until the death of Barnabas Smith in 1653, Isaac was effectively separated from his mother, and his pronounced psychotic tendencies have been ascribed to this traumatic event. That he hated his stepfather we may be sure. When he examined the state of his soul in 1662 and compiled a catalog of sins in shorthand, he remembered “Threatning my father and mother Smith to burne them and the house over them.”

Source: Isaac Newton - Britannica

Is "burne" a typo or an old spelling that time of "burn"? Does "to burne them and the house over them" mean "to burn them and the house (so that the house would collapse to bury them alive)"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was written in 1662. There was no standardised spelling in those days so any text that old will include spellings we're not familiar with. You might have missed that "Threatning" is now spelled "Threatening".

I take it to mean threatening to burn both them and the house [that stands over them, ie, that they live in].