Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When I read "It’s the myth that they’re the reason Trump was elected"(in Washington Post), I was ready to read along. But all of a sudden, the report stopped, leaving me quite disappointed.

I wonder whether you native English would have the same feeling when reading the closing sentence.

The purpose of the thread is to see how my English sense is going.

--------------------------

This kind of stereotyping and scapegoating is a dismaying consequence of the narrative that working-class Americans swept Trump into the White House. It’s time to let go of that narrative.

What deserves to die isn’t America’s working-class communities. It’s the myth that they’re the reason Trump was elected.

Source

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
When I read "It’s the myth that they’re the reason Trump was elected" (in the Washington Post), I was ready to read along. But [STRIKE]all of a sudden,[/STRIKE] that was the end of the report, [STRIKE]stopped, leaving me[/STRIKE] and I felt quite disappointed.

I wonder whether you native English speakers would have the same feeling when reading the closing sentence.

[STRIKE] The purpose of the thread is[/STRIKE] I'm trying to see how my English [STRIKE]sense[/STRIKE] comprehension is going.

--------------------------

This kind of stereotyping and scapegoating is a dismaying consequence of the narrative that working-class Americans swept Trump into the White House. It’s time to let go of that narrative.

What deserves to die isn’t America’s working-class communities. It’s the myth that they’re the reason Trump was elected.

Source
The "it's" in the second sentence refers back to "what deserves to dies" in the first. Rewriting that text, we get:

What deserves to die isn’t America’s working-class communities but the myth that they’re the reason Trump was elected.

In other words, the myth (not the working-class communities) deserves to die.

So, to answer your question, the original text is fine.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not sure what you are asking about. What did you expect to follow those words?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am not sure what you are asking about. What did you expect to follow those words?

I was expecting to read some answers for breaking up the myth. Yet what I saw was simpy a curse. That is why I was disappointed.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is the ending of the opinion piece. Literally the entire piece is arguments for why the "myth" is a myth.

My opinion is that this writer is beating up a strawman. It is not the idea that "most Trump voters were working class" that is important, but that he captured significant numbers of them (and like-minded folks) with a message designed for their sentiments. Significant enough to win the rust belt states that made the difference.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You were disappointed because the writer didn't give you some answers for the myth? Maybe you haven't read the entire piece.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You were disappointed because the writer didn't give you some answers for the myth? Maybe you haven't read the entire piece.

Of course I've read it through before posting the thread.

If you think there is some answer in the main body of the report or in the whole of the report, please show me one.

Thanks in anticipation.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Status