It cost 5 million to pay one Biden, and 5 million to another (or) the other Biden.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
I heard this phrase and I got a little puzzled. I thought it should be "the other". Why did they write "another"? After all, they're talking about a specific person, so that matches the use of the definite article (the other), not the indefinite article (another).

• It cost 5 million to pay one Biden, and 5 million to another Biden.
    (source)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I was sorely tempted to delete the OP because of its overtly political nature, but let it stand because it contains a legitimate question about English. I remind you nevertheless @Marika33 that political debate is not allowed in this forum.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
I was sorely tempted to delete the OP because of its overtly political nature, but let it stand because it contains a legitimate question about English. I remind you nevertheless @Marika33 that political debate is not allowed in this forum.
I was just asking about English grammar. I didn't want to talk about politics at all.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The fact that Marika33 merely mentioned something that was said about a US president does not mean even remotely that she's trying to smuggle in some kind of political comment!

We're talking about use of language here, not saying anything at all about politics!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I understand and accept that you raised a legitimate question about English, @Marika33. I stand by my comment, however, that the video clip used to illustrate the question was highly charged political rhetoric.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought it should be "the other". Why did they write "another"? After all, they're talking about a specific person, so that matches the use of the definite article (the other), not the indefinite article (another).

• It cost 5 million to pay one Biden, and 5 million to another Biden.

Sometimes an indefinite reference like that is used to suggest there's a long line of opponents, even if in reality there are only a couple. Think of it as a kind of exaggeration for comedic or dramatic effect.

Remember, too that until his elder son's death a few years ago, there were three Bidens involved in politics and international affairs. I didn't watch enough of the video to clearly determine what time frame the comments reference, but it's possible it's referencing an period where all three were active.