Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I was asked, "Do you think sudden changes in our lives are always positive?" I started my answer this way:

"It depends on the situation itself. For example, if you win a lottery it's obviously a positive thing. But....."

I don't know why I said 'itself' here. If it's correct, what does it exactly mean?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I don't know why I said 'itself' here.
I also don't know. :)
You don't need it there. You can say "It depends on the situation" or even just "It depends".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You don't need it, but it is not an error.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
You don't need it, but it is not an error.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. If it isn't incorrect, it must mean something right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It simply emphasises "the situation" and, I would say, suggests that it doesn't depend on anything else. I would disagree with that suggestion. There are usually several factors involved in most things that happen in life.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's exactly what I wanted to know. If it isn't incorrect, it must mean something right?

Well, since you're the one who used it, perhaps you might have a go at telling us what you meant.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We do have empty language, but I would put this down to emphasis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Well, since you're the one who used it, perhaps you might have a go at telling us what you meant.
As a non-native speaker I've picked up a lot of words and phrases without any conscious effort. For example, when someone asks a question I often say "Well....." before starting my answer even though I'm not exactly sure what it means. But I hear people saying it all the time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a non-native speaker I've picked up a lot of words and phrases without any conscious effort. For example, when someone asks a question I often say "Well....." before starting my answer even though I'm not exactly sure what it means. But I hear people saying it all the time.

"Well" really is just an empty filler word. It gives the speaker a second to think about their answer. If you ask someone a straight "Yes/No" question, you won't hear such fillers. It's used more when the speaker wants to consider their response a little but doesn't want a weird empty silence while they do so.

Do you like cheese?
No.

Have you seen The Godfather?
Yes.

What do you think of the fiasco at the Australian Open?
Well, ... I suppose I can see why some of the players are upset but some of them are just behaving like spoilt children.

Status
Not open for further replies.