Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John launches his toy plane, and it lands on the roof of a garage. He notices that there's a tree growing nearby the garage. He starts climbing that tree so he can get on top of the garage and get his plane. Bob notices John climbing the tree, comes up to him and says: "Why are you climbing that tree?". To which John replies with one of the sentences below.

1. I launched my plane, it flew over the field, then bumped into this tree and has landed on the garage roof. Could you please help me get it from there?

2. I launched my plane, it flew over the field and has landed on the garage roof. Could you please help me get it from there?

3. I launched my plane, and it has landed on the garage roof. Could you please help me get it from there?

Should the "has" in bold be included in the above sentences? I'm wondering about both British and American English. Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I launched my plane. It flew over the field and landed on the garage roof. Could you please help me get it (from there)?
I think the past simple is more naturel - we have three past-time actions.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

He was flying his toy plane, and it landed on the roof of a garage after hitting a tree.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I don't think this part is grammatical/correctly punctuated in the first two sentences.

I launched my plane, it flew over the field ...

The third is fine.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Before creating this thread, I asked a British English speaker about sentence #3, and he gave me this advice:
3. I launched my plane, and it has landed on the garage roof. Could you please help me get it from there?
Use the past tense for "launch". The present perfect sounds far better to me for "land", if the plane is still on the garage roof (the present effect of a past action). If you have already retrieved the plane, use the past tense.
Would you agree that in the case of sentence #3 "has landed" is better than "landed", or would you still prefer the simple past "landed" to the present perfect "has landed"? Thanks in advance.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think in American English only the simple past "landed" would be natural in sentence #3:

I launched my plane, and it landed on the garage roof. Could you please help me get it from there?

Could an American English speaker confirm that, please? Thanks in advance.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As an AmE speaker, the simple past does sound natural,, but I disagree it's the only natural option. Like 5jj, I find both the simple past and present perfect natural and acceptable. However, in this case I'd personally stick to the simple past since the first verb (launched) is already in the simple past.

Generally you should avoid tense shifts unless there's good reason or need to shift, at least in writing.