It is thanks to the correct leadership of Mr. White that the company has achieved the above results

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvacyf

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"It is thanks to the correct leadership of Mr. White that the company has achieved the above results."

Is this sentence in spoken form or in written?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this homework?

alvacyf

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is this homework?
It's not homework. I'm an english language learner, learning translation from Chinese to English. I hope my English expression to be more native.
This sentence is used in a rather formal situation.

Is my way of asking a question correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"It is thanks to the correct successful/outstanding/impressive leadership of Mr. White that the company has achieved the above results."

Is this sentence correct and natural in both spoken form or in and written English?

We don't use "correct leadership". I've suggested some alternatives above. Note my other corrections.

It's not homework. I'm an English language learner, learning translation how to translate from Chinese to English. I hope want my English expression to be more native natural.
This The sentence in my first post is used in a rather formal situation.

Is my way of asking a the wording of my question correct?
Note my corrections above. I'm not sure what you mean by your final question. Are you referring to the question you asked in post #1? If so, you can see my changes in the top quote box above.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, alvacyf. :)

Your opening sentence is rather formal, as you say, and (with emsr2d2's amendments) is more likely to be found in a written report.

If it was read out in a board meeting, for example, you'd have to call it spoken English, but I don't think that's what you want to know.

It's definitely too formal to be called conversational English.

Last edited:

alvacyf

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We don't use "correct leadership". I've suggested some alternatives above. Note my other corrections.

Note my corrections above. I'm not sure what you mean by your final question. Are you referring to the question you asked in post #1? If so, you can see my changes in the top quote box above.
Thank you very much, emsr2d2. I hope my way of asking a question not to be regarded as if it is homework. So I was wondering how I should ask a question in a right way.

alvacyf

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Welcome to the forum, alvacyf. :)

Your opening sentence is rather formal, as you say, and (with emsr2d2's amendments) is more likely to be found in a written report.

If it was read out in a board meeting, for example, you'd have to call it spoken English, but I don't think that's what you want to know.

It's definitely too formal to be called conversational English.
Thank you, Rover_KE. I feel happy that my question was answered by kind people like you and emsr2d2. I really appreciated. That was great help.
So the sentence model "It is thanks to ... that ..." is a good one. I learned the sentence just yesterday and thought it might not be so formal. I understand it now and will use it when necessary.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much, emsr2d2. I hope my way of asking a question not to be regarded didn't make it look as if it is was homework. So I was wondering how I should ask a question in a right way to make it clear it's not homework.
There is no particular way of asking a question in order to make it clear that it's not homework. Just be aware that we're always on the lookout for posts that look like the user is trying to get help with homework. It's nothing personal. We just don't help people to cheat!

The best thing you can do is tell us, in post 1 of any thread, what prompted you to ask a question. For example, "I read this sentence in a newspaper article yesterday and I don't understand the underlined part" or "I found this exercise in a book I'm using to practice my English at home".

Remember to use the words/sentence you're asking us to look at as your thread title. I have changed the title of this one for you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have responded to homework question in the past and got my knuckles rapped.
😊

Status
Not open for further replies.