Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Lastly, a drummer has to practice wrist snap. To play the drum set requires hitting drums and cymbals and there are some ways to pound on them. We must use snap to make the drum stick head hit the drum skin. It makes clear sound while playing drums. And wrist flexibility can help to play drum speedily/fast. The wrist flexibility helps to control the rebound of hit, and it makes hitting faster, and also reduces fatigue in performance.

1.Are the underlined parts correct?
2.For this, if a drum stick head doesn't hit the drum skin, the hitting sound would be dull or blunt. I don't know if "clear sound" is proper in this case.

It
makes clear sound while playing drums

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How can you start with Lastly?

I would say:

A drummer has to practice wrist snap.

The part of the drum that you normally bang on to make the sound is called a drumhead.

Perhaps:

It helps to have wrist flexibility if you want to play at a fast tempo.

I am not sure what makes a clear sound.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm a drummer myself so I happen to know quite a bit about drumming technique and the terms commonly used to describe it.

1) For a start, don't say wrist snap. Furthermore, don't do it! (Unless you want a very particular sound.) You should really let gravity do almost all of the work, using your wrist as a hinge only.

2) Your second question doesn't make sense. If the stick doesn't strike the head, what does it strike?! You don't seem to be talking about rimshots, so I'm not sure what you mean. Perhaps you're thinking about which part of the drum head to strike. Generally speaking, you should aim for the centre (the part I call 'the sweet spot'), which gives the fullest sound. As your strikes stray from the centre, the effect is that the sound tends to become weaker, often higher-pitched, and more 'ringy'. Advanced drummers will make use of this effect, but for beginners I'd strongly advise striking as close to the centre of the head as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.