Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
That's real life situation and this is not more than 1 example Its just one in present and one in past.

I was playing game on my computer and I had to say this:

1. I've been talking for 10 minutes and I've just realized I haven't attached the mic to headphones.
2. I've been talking for 10 minutes and I've just realized I didn't attach the mic to headphones.
(That's in present)

Here is there any difference and what's more appropriate and natural to use in present?

So if we convert it into past and telling someone a story for example:

3.Yesterday, I was playing and talking for 10 minutes and then I realized I hadn't attached mic to headphones.
4.Yesterday, I was playing and talking for 10 minutes and then I realized I didn't attach mic to headphones.
(That's in past)

Here is there any difference or they mean the same?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. I've been talking for 10 minutes and I've just realized I haven't attached the mic to the headphones.
2. I've been talking for 10 minutes and I've just realized I didn't attach the mic to the headphones.
Both are possible.

The speaker of #1 focuses on the present state of the mic, the speaker of #2 on the past (non-) action.
3.Yesterday, I was playing and talking for 10 minutes and then I realized I hadn't attached the mic to the headphones.
This is a backshifted version of both #1 and #2.
4.Yesterday, I was playing and talking for 10 minutes and then I realized I didn't attach mic to headphones.
This one doesn't work.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Both are possible.

The speaker of #1 focuses on the present state of the mic, the speaker of #2 on the past (non-) action.

This is a backshifted version of both #1 and #2.

This one doesn't work.
So in present situation both are correct.
"Present perfect" kind of sounds like "I realized I haven't attached the mic to the headphones (yet).
"Past simple" also means the same but there is focus in past when he didn't attach the mic.

In past only "Past perfect" is correct.

🙏 Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The most natural way of reporting this situation that happened in the past is "Yesterday, I'd been playing and talking for ten minutes before I realised I hadn't connected the mic to the headphones".

Reactions: 5jj

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
The most natural way of reporting this situation that happened in the past is "Yesterday, I'd been playing and talking for ten minutes before I realised I hadn't connected the mic to the headphones".
I would like to ask a question.
Why did you use "Past perfect continuous" here isn't past continuous correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would like to ask a question. Unnecessary.
Why did you use the no quotation marks here past perfect continuous no quotation marks here here? Isn't the past continuous correct?
I used it because the playing/talking happened before the realisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.