Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to an English club tonight and I saw my friend Eric. He was chatting with some other friends. At that time, there wasn't a seat for me so I had to stand there. While I was standing there listening to Eric and others' chatting, Eric and Mona was also trying to find a seat for me. I then said to them:

Just leave me alone.

I think the sentence is perfectly good. Since we're quite close so I said "Just leave me alone". It was perfectly okay to stand here and you didn't need to worry about me.

Is the italic phrase/sentence natural?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I'm OK" would work in that situation. "Just leave me alone" is pretty much the same as "Don't bother me," which is not, I think, what you meant.

Reactions: 5jj

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"I'm OK" would work in that situation. "Just leave me alone" is pretty much the same as "Don't bother me," which is not, I think, what you meant.
I wanted to tell them that you don't need to bother yourselves finding me a seat. I'd be happy standing there and listening to your chatting.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Definitely the wrong thing to say in those circumstances. It's perfectly natural English but it normally means that you don't wish to have any social interaction with them at all.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wanted to tell them that you don't need to bother yourselves finding me a seat. I'd be happy standing there and listening to your chatting.
The problem isn't that I didn't understand what you meant. The problem is that that expression doesn't say what you meant.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I went to an English club tonight and I saw (in case it's not clear, you didn't need to repeat "I"_) my friend Eric. He was chatting with some other friends. At that time, there wasn't a seat for me so I had to stand. there. While I was standing there listening to Eric and the others' chatting, Eric and Mona was were also trying to find a seat for me. I then said to them:

Just leave me alone.

I think the sentence is perfectly good. Since we're quite close, so I said "Just leave me alone". It I was perfectly okay to standing here and you didn't need to worry about me.

Is the italic phrase/sentence natural?
Note my comments and corrections above. "Just leave me alone" is far too harsh and rude for the situation! It suggests they were bothering you and you wanted nothing to do with them. You should have politely said "Thanks but I'm really OK standing! I don't need a chair".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is how I imagine it, Silver:

Eric ... Eric ... Mona ... Guys, really, it's OK. Don't worry. I'm fine like this, honestly. I'm fine. You sit. Thanks, though.