Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello everyone. I encountered this expression, "Just like Itma", and I am wondering how it is connected to the previous sentence:

“I must get a sphere. Perhaps I could beat the nearest to it with another stone until it rounds. Stone mason as well. Who was it cut stone cannon-balls? Michael Angelo? But I must look for a very round stone. Never a dull moment. Just like Itma.”

- William Golding, Pincher Martin, Chapter 7

This is a novel published in the United Kingdom in 1956. The novel mainly follows the state of mind of a sailor called Christopher "Pincher" Martin, a temporary naval lieutenant. He was in the Atlantic Ocean when his ship sank. He swam until he found an island. He is now thinking a way to get a spherical rock in order to allow his silver chocolate packaging paper (now attached to a non-spherical rock) to be seen from all directions for his rescue.

Here, I wonder what the underlined part would mean.
I guess "Itma" could mean "ITMA (It's That Man Again)" which was a BBC radio comedy programme aired from 1939 to 1949 according to this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_That_Man_Again
But this "Itma" is not capitalized, so I wonder whether it means some other thing I couldn't guess.

I would very much appreciate your help.

No, it's ITMA. The lack of capitalisation may be because it was always pronounced as a word, /ɪtmə/.

Say:

He is now trying to figure out a way ....

@5jj and @Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So "Itma" is "ITMA (It's That Man Again; a BBC radio program)"!
It is "Itma" (not "ITMA") because it is pronounced as a word.
And thank you for the suggestion; I would change the sentence from my next questions. :D
I truly appreciate your help.

If you are making a promise or stating your intention to do something use will. To use will in the past tense or to state a conditional use would.

Last edited:
Try not to worry about every single detail and focus on the overall picture. If you worry about every single word you don't understand, you will miss the grandeur and brilliance of this novel. I have no idea of which bits of ships were painted pink and re-read it a couple of years ago, after reading it a few decades ago. I still couldn't care which bits of boats were painted pink in WWII. I have since seen from a South African navy website that various wild colours were tried as camouflage, but regarded as useless by the sailors as boats move in the dark.

If you're reading a novel, try to accept that there are bits, like scratches and jumps on an old vinyl record, that you don't completely get. I read the book the first time without the slightest idea why his nickname was Pincher. It didn't lessen my love for it. I just wasn't clued up about wartime nicknames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back