Just to confirm I have just completed the video interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joao Costa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I have just applied for an English teacher position, video interview went great, but just to shoot myself in the foot, I've ended the whole aplication by replying to the email ending with:

"Just to confirm I have just completed the video interview. Hope to have excelled at it. "

Is it really inadmissible to use the word "just" twice in the same sentence as above?

Thanks in advance!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have just applied for an English teacher position. The video interview went great, but just to shoot myself in the foot, I've I ended the whole application by replying to the email ending my/an email reply with:

"Just to confirm I have just completed the video interview. Hope to have excelled at it."

Is it really inadmissible to use the word "just" twice in the same sentence as above?

Thanks in advance! Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful.
Please note my corrections and comments above.

I'm not sure I understand what happened. Who did you email that comment to? There's no reason that you would have emailed it to the person who interviewed you - they already know you've completed the video interview. Why do you refer to sending that email as shooting yourself in the foot? How has it lowered your chances of getting the job?

Joao Costa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Please note my corrections and comments above.

I'm not sure I understand what happened. Who did you email that comment to? There's no reason that you would have emailed it to the person who interviewed you - they already know you've completed the video interview. Why do you refer to sending that email as shooting yourself in the foot? How has it lowered your chances of getting the job?
Thanks for the reply. I had an automated video interview, so I replied the email which had instructions for the interview. Just to confirm it had been done

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the reply. I had an automated video interview, so I replied to the email which that had gave me the instructions for the interview, just to confirm it had been done.
That wasn't at all clear from the first post. I think your response was a bit casual, given that it was connected to a job vacancy and (more importantly) given that you're applying to be an English teacher. You didn't even write complete sentences. If I had been you, I would have written:

I can confirm that I have completed the online/automated video interview. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Also, and I hate to sound discouraging given you're probably looking forward to being hired, "hope to have excelled at it" just doesn't work.

Not only is the tense wrong ("I hope I excelled ..." would have been better), the word "excelled" doesn't fit there at all.

If I had to say something like that, I'd have said "I hope I did well".

To answer your question, it's fine to use the word "just" twice in a sentence especially if you use them with different meanings. But as with everything, it depends on context.

Good luck, João Costa.

Joao Costa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
That wasn't at all clear from the first post. I think your response was a bit casual, given that it was connected to a job vacancy and (more importantly) given that you're applying to be an English teacher. You didn't even write complete sentences. If I had been you, I would have written:

I can confirm that I have completed the online/automated video interview. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Understood, but my main concern is, the sentence is incorrect or just casual?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It’s incorrect - reread the earlier replies.

Joao Costa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thanks Rover, my main concern was grammar, so hope all went well even with the casual reply.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Understood, but my main concern is, the sentence is incorrect or just casual?
Understood, but my main concern is, is the sentence is incorrect or just casual?

Note the correction above. If you're going to teach English, inversion in questions is a very basic principle.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Rover, my main concern was grammar. So I hope all went well even with the casual reply.
It's probably a good idea to get in the habit of checking to see if you left any words out.

Status
Not open for further replies.