Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
United States
This is something I would like to post in my Facebook page. I'd like to tell my story without specific information ( I have a few reason that I cannot be specific in large audience but I did not want to loose any main message I want to deliver - I hope this makes sense to you..) I would really appreciate it if you could correct it - I did not want to post a story with my many ESL mistakes and your advice would be much appreciated. Please feel free to change phrase and sentence to make it smooth and natural. If you think I am telling too much detail or too much reputation , you can shorten it too. I do not want to sound aggressive or showing off. I just want people to follow their dreams. That is my purpose of this story telling.

----Start here------

It cannot be specific for a few reasons but I would like to share a story here.
Last six months, I had to make something very important happen. Several professionals who have 20 to 30 plus years of experience in a field that I was struggling in told me that it is not possible to get what I want and not worth to try. I really did not want to give up on what I want and most importantly my gut was saying big “yes” to make it happen. I was not confident but I wanted to believe in myself. So I decided to take this by my own. For a while, I researched, studied and worked hard on it. And something incredible happened. I found a person who has a skill and knowledge I needed and this friend helped me and supported me endlessly to make it happen and I continued to work on it with this friend.
This week, I received an outcome. I got what I want. I am very thankful to the friend who helped me continuously and other friends and people around me who supported me here - where I live now. And friends and families in other states and my home countries. All of these people around me are the ones who shape my life. I cannot do it alone.
Don’t let anyone to decide what you can and can’t . Nobody knows how you are going to work towards your goal. Only you know and only you can decide how you work. And they don’t know what help you are going to have.

----End here-----

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I want to post this on my Facebook page.

And:

I'd like to tell my story without giving out personal information.

And:

I did not want to lose the main message.

Have you posted this other places?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
----Start here------

[STRIKE]It [/STRIKE] This story cannot be specific for a few reasons but I would like to share [STRIKE]a story [/STRIKE] it here.

The last six months, I had to make something very important happen. Several professionals who have 20 to 30 plus years of experience in a field that I was struggling in told me that it is not possible to get what I want and not worth [STRIKE]to try[/STRIKE] trying. I really did not want to give up on what I want to do and most importantly, my gut was saying a big “yes” to make it happen. I was not confident but I wanted to believe in myself. So I decided to take [STRIKE]this by[/STRIKE] it on my own. For a while, I researched, studied, and worked hard on it. And something incredible happened. I found a person who has [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the skill and knowledge I needed and this friend helped me and supported me endlessly to make it happen and I continued to work on it with this friend.

This week, I received [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] the outcome. I got what I want. I am very thankful to the friend who helped me continuously and other friends and people around me who supported me here - where I live now, and friends and families in other states and my home countries. All of these people around me are the ones who shape my life. I cannot do it alone.

Don’t let anyone [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] decide what you can and can’t do . Nobody knows how you are going to work towards your goal. Only you know and only you can decide how you work. And they don’t know what help you are going to have.

----End here-----

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ted, when somebody has posted something one thing I often post something then wait for a response before posting something else. That is what I am doing here.

K-co, the word you are looking for is mentor.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Ted, when somebody has posted something, [STRIKE]one thing[/STRIKE] I often post something then wait for a response before posting something else. That is what I am doing here.

K-co, the word you are looking for is mentor.

OK, wait for the response to your question first before posting something else. Anyway, there is no response from the OP.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

I really did not want to give up, so I decided to go for it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Then something incredible happened. I found a mentor -- somebody who was willing to teach me what I needed to know.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

This week I received some good news. Success!

And:

Don't let anybody tell you what you can and can't do.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Nobody knows how hard you are going to work to achieve your goal. Only you know that, and only you know if you have what it takes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrases "helping me constantly" and "helping me endlessly" do not work for me. I suggest that you try something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.