Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I say "A jar is full of honey" and "A tanker is full of oil"?

Could you please tell me what the difference is between 'be full of' and 'be filled with' and if they are OK here?

Thank you very much. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.
Yes, both your sentences are correct.
"Filled", when used as an adjective, is commonly used as an alternative to "full". However, it's more appropriate to things that are stuffed with something else - filled pasta, filled croissants etc. In those cases, "full" would be wrong.
Note my corrections above. When you quote a full sentence, only include the full stop at the end if it also marks the end of the longer sentence (around the quote).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@thru If a jar is full of honey it has honey in it all the way to the brim. When you buy honey at the store you want to get a full jar.

I don't know when I would use "be filled with". What do I want to fill, and what do I want to fill it with?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Never heard of gunnels.
More helpfully "gun'l's", which is an abbreviation of "gunwales", pronounced with a /ə/ in the second syllable. In the days of fighting ships the edge of the deck was reinforced with a sturdier plank, to support the cannon; it was called the gun-wale. This led to the expression 'laden to the gunnels', meaning 'loaded so heavily that the ship's gunnels were nearly under water.I guess "laden to the gunnels" is a peculiarely BE expression. See Etymonline for more.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Filled", when used as an adjective, is commonly used as an alternative to "full".
If a jar is full of honey it has honey in it all the way to the brim.

Hi emsr2d2,

If a jar is filled with honey, does it mean it has honey in it all the way to the brim or not necessarily?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a jar is filled with honey, does it mean it has honey in it all the way to the brim[?]
Yes, they mean the same thing. That is, "full of" and "is filled with" mean the same thing.