looked to the Warsaw Pact, the Baltic states, and looked to the European Union and NATO

Status
Not open for further replies.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would you tell me please if the boldfaced bit makes sense to you? It seems what he wanted to say was that some countries of the former Warsaw Pact (including the Baltic states) looked to the European Union and NATO.

The number of new States emerged. They've been used to a really difficult stagnant economy, and these new states were looking for growth, prosperity and freedoms. Some of them looked East and formed alliances with Russia, some of them look West and looked to the Warsaw Pact, the Baltic states, and looked to the European Union and NATO for that security, prosperity and freedom.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
He says:
1 - "Some of them looked East and formed alliances with Russia"
2 - "Some of them looked West and looked to ..."

Then, his brain decides to add to examples to (2) (after "them"), so he says "the Warsaw pact, the Baltic states".
Then, he resumes by repeating that boldface"looked to". Then he adds "The European Union and NATO" ... etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
None of it makes sense. For one thing, the Warsaw Pact doesn't exist anymore. And you can't look west to the Baltic states unless you are talking about Russia. He has his geography mixed up.

I wouldn't consider him an expert on the subject.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
None of it makes sense. For one thing, the Warsaw Pact doesn't exist anymore. And you can't look west to the Baltic states unless you are talking about Russia. He has his geography mixed up.

I wouldn't consider him an expert on the subject.
I think his speech just got incoherent at some point, as it sometimes happens during an unscripted speech (the way teechar described).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@güey That was exactly my point. He doesn't think on his feet very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.