Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Australia
In the text below, what could be a better term for the word "memory"?

Although we need that paper next week, it's best that you print it now and keep it. During the week, you may either not remember to print when you get time to do so, or may not get time whenever you remember. Whereas now, you have both time and "memory" to print. [Source = Myself]

The term would be related to fresh memory, consciousness, mindfulness, awareness, reminder or something similar.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Looking for a term meaning "something fresh in your memory"

The phrase "fresh in memory" is not natural without a word telling us whose memory.

In the text below, what could be a better term for the word "memory"?

Although we need that paper next week, it's best that you print it now and keep it. During the week, you may either forget or [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] not have time [STRIKE]whenever you remember[/STRIKE], whereas now[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] you have [STRIKE]both[/STRIKE] time and are thinking of it. [Source = Myself]

The term would be related to fresh memory, consciousness, mindfulness, awareness, reminder or something similar.
That's how I'd say it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think you can or should try to replace it with any word. You don't need to mention it being presently in mind at all. Just urge them to do it now.

abdulbasitb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Australia
I don't think you can or should try to replace it with any word. You don't need to mention it being presently in mind at all. Just urge them to do it now.
To clarify, I was not making anyone do any work but was trying to find the noun that fits there. It's only an example I made up and added some sentences to give some context.

The situation could be different. If someone says, "Don't worry about doing this work now but do it any time in the coming month. You'll get plenty of opportunities."
My reply could be, "I may get free time later too but may not necessarily have 'memory' of it at that time".

But with the word 'memory', that doesn't sound exactly what I mean to say. I'm not trying to say that I'd potentially forget because a month's time is too early to forget something. I'd still know about it but it may not be in the front part of my brain all the time. So the word I want to use should mean "something in the front space of my brain" or "something in front of my eyes". I don't know much biology but I'm revolving around the word I want to use and that's why taking a long route to explain it.

In computer terms, you can have something saved in the hard drive memory but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's on display or in RAM memory. Since it's not in front, one cannot say that the computer "forgot" that information or the information is no longer in the computer's memory. It's present in memory but not in RAM memory. I'm trying to find the equivalent of that in human brain.

What do you think the term that I'm looking for would be?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To clarify, I was not making anyone do any work but was trying to find the noun that fits there. It's only an example I made up and added some sentences to give some context.

The situation could be different. If someone says, "Don't worry about doing this work now, but do it sometime in the coming month. You'll get plenty of opportunities."

My reply could be, "I may get free time later, [STRIKE]too[/STRIKE] but . . . ."

- it might slip my mind.
- I might forget about it.
- I might not remember to do it.

But with the word 'memory', that doesn't sound exactly like what I mean to say. I'm not trying to say that I'd potentially forget because a month's time is too early to forget something. I'd still know about it, but it may not be in the front part of my brain all the time. So the word I want to use should mean "something in the front space of my brain" or "something in front of my eyes". I don't know much biology but I'm revolving around the word I want to use and that's why taking a long route to explain it.

In computer terms, you can have something saved in the hard drive memory, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's on display or in RAM memory. Since it's not in front, one cannot say that the computer "forgot" that information or the information is no longer in the computer's memory. It's present in its memory but not in its RAM's memory. I'm trying to find the equivalent of that in human brain.

What do you think the term that I'm looking for would be?
Again, I don't know a noun for that. Don't assume there is one. We don't have words for everything.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RAM memory is redundant, as RAM stands for "random access memory". Just RAM is correct. RAM's memory is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.