Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have used "man of letters" in the following sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Although as a man of letters Orwell was not a great stylist, his work has had an enormous influence on Western society.
2. Scott Fitzgerald is still regarded is one of the greatest men of letters in American literature.
3. Tolstoy was not only a man of letters, but also a humanitarian who cared about peasants and empathised with their plight.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Isn't the term "man of letters" old-fashioned? Why not just say "writer" or "author"?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
tedmc,
I do not think that "man of letters" is old-fashioned, although you seldom see it nowadays in print. But let us see what some of the teachers say about it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All of your sentences are fine, Bassim. It is true, however, that "man of letters" is not used as much as it used to be. However, during Tolstoy's time or during Orwell's time that phrase would have been in use. Also, anybody who is well-read would understand it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tedmc,
I do not think that "man of letters" is old-fashioned, although you seldom see it nowadays in print. But let us see what some of the teachers say about it.

I would not write man of letters unless I wanted to mimic writing of another era. I'd write educated person or words to that effect.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
GoesStation
I used "man of letters" because I wished to know if I could use it instead of "author" or "writer." I think "man of letters" would be appropriate in academic writing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would certainly like to be called a man of letters. While the phrase is a bit old-fashioned, there is nothing wrong with it

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
GoesStation
I used "man of letters" because I wished to know if I could use it instead of "author" or "writer." I think "man of letters" would be appropriate in academic writing.

I would urge you to avoid that phrase particularly in academic writing. In much of academia, gender-specific labels of that sort are strongly discouraged these days. This site recommends replacing it with scholar or academic, either of which seems suitable.

Whether this seems reasonable or excessively politically correct to you, there's really no reason to exclude half of humanity from a reference like that. :)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have heard of "doctor of letters" which is conferred as an hononary degree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Letters

I don't think it is so much a gender issue, since the three well-known personalities are males, as a rather dated and overly formal term.

Last edited:

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have used "man of letters" in the following sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

2. Scott Fitzgerald is still regarded is (as) one of the greatest men of letters in American literature.

Am I the only one who found this mistake?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member