Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
But I just saw the following:

Q: I came across this phrase "many are the times". What's the meaning? Does it mean "many times" or "always" or other?

A1:
It means there are many times a particular event, thought or action has occurred.

"Many are the times I yearn to be free."

It is similar to "many a time".

https://www.italki.com/question/375057

I think the sentence in blue should be the following:

(a)
Many are the times I yearned to be free.
(b)
Many are the times I has yearned to be free.

What do you think? (I think the sentence in blue, which is used in the present simple, looks strange.)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm surprised you think 'I has yearned' is good Engish.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do you think it is appropriate to use the present simple in the post #1?

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you think it is appropriate to use the present simple in the post #1?

The first use of the present simple in post #1 is fine, but the second use of it does seem off to me.

Like you, Kadioguy, I'd prefer the present perfect or the simple past -- or even the future tense.

I have yearned to be free many times. / Many times have I yearned to be free. / Many are the times I have yearned to be free.
I yearned to be free many times. / Many times did I yearn to be free. / Many are the times I yearned to be free.
I shall yearn to be free many times. / Many times shall I yearn to be free. / Many are the times I shall yearn to be free.

? I yearn to be free many times. / ? Many times do I yearn to be free. / ? Many are the times I yearn to be free.

Often, however, seems to work in all three constructions with the present simple, or at least to have a fighting chance:

I yearn to be free often. / Often do I yearn to be free. / Often are the times I yearn to be free.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Addendum: I think "many times" as an adverbial in sentences like these implies countability. It doesn't simply mean "often" or "regularly." We can (in theory) count the yearning events of the past, and we can project that there will be a countable set of yearning events in the future. But in the present we simply take our yearnings as they come. All this became clear to me when I thought of one exceptional case where I think the simple present does work with "many times" in the example in question. The exceptional case is that of the habitual yearner. If one knew one's own psychology so well that one had identified predictable occasions on which one habitually yearned to be free, then one could felicitously say: I yearn to be free many times. / Many times do I yearn to be free. /Many are the times I yearn to be free. The sentence could be followed like this: I yearn to be free at Christmas. I yearn to be free on my birthday. I yearn to be free when I think of my loved ones. Etc.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The first use of the present simple in post #1 is fine, but the second use of it does seem off to me.
Thank you, and pardon me, but what do you mean by "the first use" and "the second use"?

There is only one sentence in blue used in the present simple in post #1:

Did I miss something?

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, and pardon me, but what do you mean by "the first use" and "the second use"?

There is only one sentence in blue used in the present simple in post #1:

The first use of the present simple in that sentence is "are," and the second use of the simple present is "yearn."

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
"Many are the times" = "There are many times". But "Many are the times" is more poetic.

"Many are the times that I yearn to be free" is fine as it is. In the present tense, it implies that these periods of yearning have not finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.