Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm reading Ubik by PHILIP K. DICK. There is a sentence in chapter one that says, "Edie Dorn and two other inertials followed him to a motel named the Bonds of Erotic Polymorphic Experience, a sixty-unit subsurface structure catering to businessmen and their hookers who don’t want to be entertained."

I'm confused about the last bit of this sentence. Firstly, does "who don’t want to be entertained" refer to both the businessmen and their hookers or only the hookers? Either way, I don't understand the meaning of this part of the sentence. I looked up the Chinese version of this book, which translated this part into "who don't want to expose their identities". I doubt if this is the correct translation. Can anybody explain the correct meaning for me?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am fairly sure that the phrase refers to both the businessmen and their hookers. What it means is another story. It seems not to be meant literally. I would need more context to be sure what it means.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could be some of the clients like the entire "girlfriend experience" with a date out for dinner, drinks, etc. To be "entertained" by their hooker. Others just want to cut to the chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.