Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm grateful for my motorbike. It's not my means of transportation but my brother.
Is it right to say -- It's not my transportation but my brother and mean about the same as not my means of transportation?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm grateful for my motorbike. It's not my means of transportation, but my brother.
Is it right to say no dashes here "It's not my transportation, but my brother" and to mean about the same as "It's not my means of transportation"?
No. If you say "It's not my means of transportation", the listener/reader will take it literally. They'll infer that you don't travel about on your motorbike (for some reason).
By adding "but my brother", you're being much clearer that you mean that your motorbike is not simply a means of getting from A to B.

Even with the extra info, I'd be inclined to add another word or two. For example:

It's not just a means of transportation; it's like my brother.
It's not only a means of transportation, but a brother to me.

LewisJian

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
So, it doesn't make sense to say "It's not only my transportation but also my brother?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So, it doesn't does it not make sense to say "It's not only my transportation but also my brother"?
Which part of my response makes you think that it doesn't make sense?

LewisJian

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Which part of my response makes you think that it doesn't make sense?
Well, I don't think it's right to use "it's not only my transportation." The correct version should be "it's not only my means of transportation," right?