Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I usually go on a trip with my family.,,,,
[FONT=&#48148]When I plan what my family should do, my wife checks out what my family needs. She concentrates on my daughter's clothes, toys and [/FONT]medications/medicines[FONT=&#48148]. After that, we prepare clothes i[/FONT]ndividually/separately.

Which ones of the underline parts correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I usually go on a trip with my family.

That might make sense in the proper context, but there is no such context here.

Perhaps:

We carefully plan things. My wife concentrates on my daughter's clothes, toys, and medicine.

i don't know what you mean by prepare clothes separately.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I usually go on a trip with my family.

That might make sense in the proper context, but there is no such context here.

Perhaps:

We carefully plan things. My wife concentrates on my daughter's clothes, toys, and medicine.

i don't know what you mean by prepare clothes separately.
It means "I prepare my clothes and she does hers"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You just fold them and put them in the bag. Or whatever. It's not that special. I definitely wouldn't use the word "prepare" there. It's just picking out what you want to wear.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]usually[/STRIKE] frequently go on [STRIKE]a trip[/STRIKE] trips with my family. ,,,, Please stop using these bizarre strings of commas.

[STRIKE]When[/STRIKE] I plan [STRIKE]what my family should do[/STRIKE] where we will go and what we will do, and my wife [STRIKE]checks[/STRIKE] sorts out what [STRIKE]my family[/STRIKE] we [STRIKE]needs[/STRIKE] need. She concentrates on [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] our daughter's clothes, toys and medication. [STRIKE]medications/medicines. [/STRIKE]After that, [STRIKE]we[/STRIKE] my wife and I [STRIKE]prepare[/STRIKE] sort out our own clothes individually/separately.

Which [STRIKE]ones[/STRIKE] of the underlined parts are correct?

See above.

I think you've misunderstood what "my family" refers to. For you, it's your wife and your child/children. For your wife, it's you and your child/children. You used the term "my family" too often and confusingly. You need to be clearer about who you're talking about. You've used a lot of words to express a really simple idea.

When my family goes on holiday, I decide where we're going and what we're going to do. My wife, Helen, sorts out our daughter's stuff, then Helen and I sort out our own stuff.

We're all aware of what needs to be organised when going on holiday - we decide what clothes to take, we find them, wash them, dry them and pack them. Then we pack our toiletries. If we're going abroad, we check we have our passports, boarding cards, travel insurance, local currency and credit cards. If we're taking a trip in our own country, we check the car, or check we have the bus/train tickets.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
See above.

I think you've misunderstood what "my family" refers to. For you, it's your wife and your child/children. For your wife, it's you and your child/children. You used the term "my family" too often and confusingly. You need to be clearer about who you're talking about. You've used a lot of words to express a really simple idea.

When my family goes on holiday, I decide where we're going and what we're going to do. My wife, Helen, sorts out our daughter's stuff, then Helen and I sort out our own stuff.

We're all aware of what needs to be organised when going on holiday - we decide what clothes to take, we find them, wash them, dry them and pack them. Then we pack our toiletries. If we're going abroad, we check we have our passports, boarding cards, travel insurance, local currency and credit cards. If we're taking a trip in our own country, we check the car, or check we have the bus/train tickets.

1. Before, I thought "my family" means everyone in the family including me. This is quite a surprising new finding.
2. I was told "prepare things" is a wrong word many times and you used "sort out things".
Can you let me know the difference of the two? Is "prepare" more of "making something", so you don't make things for trips?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "prepare things" is not wrong per se but is wishy-washy language' especially "things". It is perfectly natural to say you are making preparations for a trip. You make a packing list and do your packing according to the list which would include your clothing, toiletries, footwear, electronic gadgets, medicine, etc.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note that medicine and medication have different meanings. It's not clear which one is more appropriate here.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Note that medicine and medication have different meanings. It's not clear which one is more appropriate here.

I found they use "medication" more to refer to substances, while "medicine" is normally used to mean "the medical study", but it also has the same meaning as "medication".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found they use "medication" more to refer to substances, while "medicine" is normally used to mean "the medical study", but it also has the same meaning as "medication".

That sums it up nicely. (Some of us say things like: "I took my meds.")

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Before, I thought "my family" means everyone in the family including me. This is quite a surprising new finding.
2. I was told "prepare things" is a wrong word many times and you used "sort out things".
Can you let me know the difference of the two? Is "prepare" more of "making something", so you don't make things for trips?

1. Your family does include you, but it doesn't make sense to mentally include yourself when saying "I go on trips with my family". That suggests you go with your wife, child and with yourself! I meant more that I was under the impression that you thought perhaps it meant only your child/children. My statement that you used "my family" too often stands. Everything would be a lot clearer if you named the relationship and even clearer if you gave those people names.

"I frequently go on trips with my wife, Helen, and my daughter, Chloe." From then on, you can refer to them by name with no ambiguity.

2. You can prepare for a trip by getting everything ready, but we don't really "prepare" clothes for packing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ems is nothing if not thorough. She covers everything. And she makes it look easy.
;-)
:up:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

No, none of that is accurate.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Ems is nothing if not thorough. She covers everything. And she makes it look easy.
;-)
:up:

Tarheel, we all appreciate how capable the members here are, but do you really have to create a new post to say so? It doesn't add anything to the point in question and serves only to clutter the thread. This is not a chat forum.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
See above.

I think I'd better say "respectively" instead of these two.
Not using it wouldn't mean "I sort out mine, and my wife does hers."

we my wife and I prepare sort out our own clothes individually/separately.(=>respectively)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just say:

My wife and I each sort out our own clothes.

Nothing more needs to be said.
:)

P.S. We would usually just say sort rather than sort out

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.