Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
A. We’ve got two weeks off in July. What do you want to do?
B. We could go to Maine or Vermont.
A. What do you think you'll do with those two weeks you have off in July?
B. I might go to Maine or Vermont.
B. I could go to Maine or Vermont.
Clearly, "might" and "could" do not mean the same thing. If we use "could" it mostly acknowledges or suggests the possibility of something. If we use "might" it is more likely to suggest the possiblility of something that is a weaker possibility. However, by using “might” in example number two, the speaker is most likely considering his or her actual intentions

I am very confused about the underlined parts. Does it mean Could imply stronger possibility than might?

A. We’ve got two weeks off in July. What do you want to do?
B. We could go to Maine or Vermont.
B. I might go to Maine or Vermont.
B. I could go to Maine or Vermont.
Clearly, "might" and "could" do not mean the same thing. If we use "could" it mostly acknowledges or suggests the possibility of something. If we use "might" it is more likely to suggest the possiblility of something that is a weaker possibility. However, by using “might” in example number two, the speaker is most likely considering his or her actual intentions

I am very confused about the underlined parts. Does it mean Could impl[STRIKE]y[/STRIKE]es stronger possibility than might?
Bosun, you are starting lots of threads on modals, and may get confusing answers. It would be better to try to ask follow-up questions in one thread.

As I have just said in another of your threads, there is sometimes no real difference between 'could' and 'might. There may not be in your example, above. There is not enough context for us to be absolutely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back