Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

I'm not sure if the articles in bold are correct. I would delete them but would like to hear your opinion. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

1) The most notorious example of this phenomenon is domestic violence in blocks of flats. Most of the neighbours do not react in fear of the consequences.

2) Another example is when a person collapses on a street. Most people who see this situation take no action. The other witnesses try to help to the best of their abilities.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I'm not sure if the articles in bold are correct. I would delete them but would like to hear your opinion. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

1) The most notorious example of this phenomenon is domestic violence in blocks of flats. Most of the neighbours do not react in fear of the consequences.

2) Another example is when a person collapses on a street. Most people who see this situation take no action. The other witnesses try to help to the best of their abilities.

1. I'd use "Most neighbours". I'd use "for fear of the consequences" or "fearing the consequences".
2. I wouldn't use "The other" or "other". The previous sentence says that most people don't do anything. I'd start the last sentence with "However, a few ...".

Status
Not open for further replies.