[Vocabulary] Mutual, shared, joined or common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna.English

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi :)

Which word collocates best with "lesson" or "class"? I want to describe a class for me and my friend, we're going to have the class together, we'll take part in the same lesson, so is it better to say that it's going to be "a shared class" or "a joined lesson" or perhaps "a collective lesson"? I don't think that either "a mutual class/lesson" or "a common class/lesson" sound good but I'm just guessing here. What do you - mighty native speakers - think? Any thoughts?

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Usually, "group class" (as opposed to "private lesson") would be better than any of the options you gave.

If you want to emphasize that you're doing it with your friend, you could say "shared class" or "joint class." Restructuring into something like "joining/doing a class together" might sound more natural, depending on the sentence. If the class is only for you and your friend (without other students), you might clarify/emphasize this by saying something like "two-person class."

Don't use the others.

Note: It would be easier to provide help (and probably more helpful for you) if you gave examples of complete sentences that you wanted to use.

Last edited:

Anna.English

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It would be easier to provide help (and probably more helpful for you) if you gave examples of complete sentences that you wanted to use.

You're right :up: Let me give you a bit of context. So me and my friend are having an English class online - just me, my friend and our tutor. We meet once a week. It was the end of our lesson and I wanted to say goodbye to my friend, so I said: "Thanks for today and see you in our shared lesson next week."

My friend and I sometimes have one-on-one lessons, that is we don't always take part in lessons together, so I wanted to stress that next time it will be a joint lesson and not a one-on-one one :-D

Thank you for your help!

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
I wanted to say goodbye to my friend, so I said: "Thanks for today and see you in our shared lesson next week."

This is already perfect, given all the context you shared.

Another equally good option is "see you in our class/lesson together next week."

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're right. :up: Let me give you a bit of context. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] My friend and I are having an English class online - just me, my friend and our tutor. We meet once a week. It was the end of our lesson and I wanted to say goodbye to my friend, so I said: "Thanks for today and see you in our shared lesson next week."

My friend and I sometimes have one-on-one lessons, that is we don't always take part in lessons together, so I wanted to stress that next time it will be a joint lesson and not a one-on-one one. :-D
Don't use emojis to replace standard punctuation marks.

Anna.English

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you. I've been learning English for 20 years now and I still find collocations very difficult, it seems that it will never change. I don't have that intuition native speakers have, which tells them what sounds good together and what doesn't. I guess the only way to get it is to move to an English speaking country. I've read somewhere that it takes about 20 years of living abroad to acquire that kind of intuitive knowledge of a language. Unfortunately, my 20 years of learning English have been spent in Poland. :-? But I digress, sorry about that.

Thank you slevlife! :up:

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can call a very small class like this a tutorial.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello, Anna! Welcome to the forum.

Thank you. I've been learning English for 20 years now and I still find collocations very difficult, it seems that it will never change. I don't have that intuition native speakers have, which tells them what sounds good together and what doesn't. I guess the only way to get it is to move to an English speaking country. I've read somewhere that it takes about 20 years of living abroad to acquire that kind of intuitive knowledge of a language. Unfortunately, my 20 years of learning English have been spent in Poland.
You don't need to move to an English speaking country to develop that kind of intuition; you just need to have been exposed enough to the language, which takes time, a lot of time. Living in an English speaking country just makes you have to be exposed to the language, whether you like it or not, on a daily basis, which makes learning much faster.

The fact you've spent 20 years learning English doesn't necessarily say how much time you've actually spent learning. An emigrant who has to use English for 12 hours a day, every day, is learning at a much faster pace than someone who spends just one hour a day at leisure. That's why I think It's much more reasonable to talk about how many hours you need to have spent learning English before you start "feeling" it. We also need to factor in that we forget things. Learning at a very slow pace can cause you to forget what you've already learned at a similar rate to how fast you absorb new information. This means a person who spends one hour a week doesn't necessarily learn three times slower than a person who spends three hours a week; it may be much worse. And, of course, there's the fact that the older you are, the more time you need to spend "unlearning" your native language's patterns that are incompatible with the patterns found in your second language of choice. For adult learners, it may be very difficult to unlearn the patterns they've already engraved into their brains over a lifetime of speaking their first language.

My friends have an 11-year-old daughter who taught English herself. Instead of studying what textbooks say, she just immersed herself in the language. She does not watch Polish programs or films; she always prefers the ones in English. She likes English songs, cartoons, memes, and culture. She has a lot of friends from the States she met online, and she talks to them every day. Her English is so good she sometimes manages to fool native speakers into thinking she's a native speaker herself. That is until she makes one of the very few mistakes she still makes, mistakes uncharacteristic of a native speaker, like using unneeded inversion in relative clauses. She's been learning English for some 3 years now, but she can easily "compete" with someone who's spent 20 years learning English, just by the virtue of the sheer amount of time she spends learning every single day. Also, being a minor helps a lot when learning a foreign language, but I'll leave talking about that to Chomsky. ;-)

Don't lose hope, Anna. You may just need to simply spend more time learning. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.