Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wonder if native speakers would something like the following:

My cousin is stereotyped by me for always being late.

Context: Each time I asked my cousin out, he was late for 10 to 20 minutes. Yesterday I asked him out, he was late again. Now I stereotype him as someone who I ask out will always be late. I wrote the above italic sentence to express the idea. Is it natural? The intended meaning is "He'll always be late for our meeting in my opinion and even he's not late, I still think he'll be late next time".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wonder if native speakers would say something like the following:

My cousin is stereotyped by me for always being late. ❌

Context: Each time I asked arrange to meet my cousin, out, he was is ten to twenty minutes late. for 10 to 20 minutes. Yesterday, I asked him out, arranged to meet him and he was late again. Now I stereotype see him as someone who I ask out will always be late for our meetings/meetups.

I wrote the above italic sentence to express the idea. Is it natural? No.

The intended meaning is "I assume he'll always be late for our meetings in my opinion and, even if/when he's not late, I still think he'll be late next time".

See above. Your italic sentence isn't natural. The passive voice is unnecessary. You could say "I [now] stereotype my cousin as someone who's always late". I don't think I'd go so far as to say that a native speaker would say it, but that's mainly because I can't really imagine saying it to anyone. It's quite formal. We'd generally just say something like "My cousin's always late when we meet up. It's infuriating!" and I'd probably roll my eyes while saying it.

Don't use "ask him/her/them out" when talking about meeting up with friends or family. It means "asking someone if they'd like to go out on a date with me"!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think it qualifies as a "stereotype" if it's just an observation based on one person.
I would have agreed until I looked up the definition of "stereotype" as a verb and was surprised to see results such as:

The city is stereotyped as an industrial wasteland.

Status
Not open for further replies.