Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Can I only use contractions for a set of preexisting contracted words or for any word actually?

The preexisting ones are of course known to me but I'm thinking about ones like my hands're dirty.
I could've sworn that I heard people use them similarly to how I've spelled it above, I may be wrong though. It certainly doesn't look like correct written english

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I only use contractions only for a set of pre-existing contracted words or for any words? actually?

The pre-existing ones are of course known to me but I'm thinking about ones like "My hands're dirty".

I could've sworn that I've heard people use them similarly to how I've spelled it above; I may be wrong though. It certainly doesn't look like correctly written English.
Note my corrections above. I would just about accept "hands're" if you were transcribing someone's speech. I certainly wouldn't use it in standard written English. Just remember that the person doesn't actually say "hands're". They say "hands are" but the "are" comes out like "uh".

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
@emsr2d2 Thanks for your input and the corrections again.
Can we go over the underlying grammar rule for this example?
Can I only use contractions only for a set of pre-existing contracted words or for any words? actually?
I tried looking it up but didn't find a rule that supports your claim on the quick. I thought that in the above case the following rule would apply:
If the focus is on another part of the sentence, we usually put only in the normal mid position for adverbs (between the subject and the main verb, or after the modal verb or first auxiliary verb, or after be as a main verb), see https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/grammar/british-grammar/only.

Regarding "pre-existing", a hyphen-less variant is possible according to this dictionary.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic