Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John's instagram account has been deactivated for two years. He decides to reactivate it. After he does, he comes up to his friend and says the following to him:

1. I've just reactivated my instagram account. It was/had been deactivated for two years.

2. My instagram account was/had been deactivated for two years. I've just reactivated it.

In the above two sentences, should the simple past "was" or the past perfect "had been" be used? Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
John's Instagram account has been deactivated for two years. He decides to reactivate it. After he does, he comes up to his friend and says the following to him says the following:

1. I've just reactivated my Instagram account. It was/had been deactivated for two years.
2. My Instagram account was/had been deactivated for two years. I've just reactivated it.

In the above two sentences, should the simple past "was" or the past perfect "had been" be used? Thanks.
Please note my corrections above. I wouldn't use either. I'd use the present perfect in both or I'd just say "I deactivated it two years ago".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The present perfect is an ideal choice here.

The state of deactivation started two years ago and continues up to now. The idea of 'now' encompasses both the time of the reactivation and the moment of utterance.