Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
what is the naming part of the following sentece?

She helps sick animals

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
She - subject
helps - verb
animals - object
sick - adjective modifying animals.

Is that what you wanted to know? Another method of analysis is also possible.

joaom

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Thanks!
my son is in first grade and since English is not my first language I wasn't really sure what the correct answer was. His teacher had "sick animals" as the correct naming part for the sentence She helps sick animals. I will bring to her attention that "she" is actually the correct answer.

thansk Again

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks!
my son is in first grade and since English is not my first language I wasn't really sure what the correct answer was. His teacher had "sick animals" as the correct naming part for the sentence She helps sick animals. I will bring to her attention that "she" is actually the correct answer.

thansk Again

As Probus said, "animals" (modified by the adjective "sick") is the direct object of the verb "helps". Did the teacher suggest that "sick animals" was the subject of the sentence?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No, no, don't do that. The other way of analyzing the sentence is: "she helps" is the subjective clause and "sick animals" the objective clause. Your son's teacher is not wrong.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, no, don't do that. The other way of analyzing the sentence is: "she helps" is the subjective clause and "sick animals" the objective clause. Your son's teacher is not wrong.

There is no way that "sick animals " is a clause. It has no verb. What theory of grammar are you working with?

joaom

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
yes, she did suggest that "sick animals" was the naming part of the sentence. is she right?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"animals" is the noun. A noun is a name. "sick" is an adjective. The adjective describes the noun.
I have never heard of this term "naming part" to describe an adjective/noun pair. But that seems to be the system the teacher is using.
I guess "helps" is the "doing part", but one would need to know the system to parse a sentence this way.

joaom

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
naming part is supposed to be the subject of the sentence. isn't "she" the subject on the sentence She helps sick animals?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
naming part is supposed to he the subject of the sentence. isn't "she" the subject on the sentence She helps sick animals
Yes, "She" is the subject. We should all know that. But does "naming part" = "subject"?

Here's one definition:
terminology - Distinguish "naming" and "telling" part of simple sentence with compound predicate - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

There's actually not a lot on the web about this. Apparently there's a "naming part" = subject; and a "telling part" - predicate.
So "helps sick animals" is the "telling part". I think if kids are old enough to parse sentences, they are old enough to learn what a subject, verb and object are. But that won't stop new systems arising. You need to know the system the teacher is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.