English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

It's my honour to be associated with professional native English teachers. I am an English teacher from Iran.
Well, my first thread (question) is about the correct usage of "neither" in the sentences below. Actually, there is a disagreement between one of my colleagues and myself. I would be obliged if you would help us with this quandary.

Which of the following would be correct?

1. Neither is there a plate nor pizza here. (My colleague's choice)
2. Neither a plate nor pizza is here. (My choice)

To me, the problem in No.1 is splitting "neither" away from its noun. In No.2, the writer's splitting it by putting a verb between "neither" and the noun it is modifying. I believe that the "neither/nor" construction is generally not separated by a verb, since "neither/nor" acts as a "dual conjunction". However, my colleague thinks otherwise. He claims that No.1 is the correct form of "inversion".

Best,
Roozbeh

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Neither version is very natural. But #2 is better.

#1 introduces "is there ... here" for no apparent reason.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't find either of them natural although, of the two, I prefer yours. I understand that your title mentions "inverted sentences" but I don't know why you're trying to use it when it's not necessary. I (and the majority of native speakers) would use "There is neither a plate nor [a] pizza here".

It might work in a different context - "Neither Susan nor John is here". That matches the construction of your version but uses a much more likely context.

[Cross-posted with SoothingDave.]

Last edited:

Roozbeh

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No. I am not intending to use the inverted one necessarily. That difference, however, has become the subject of heated debate within the realm of Advanced points in English as a second language. Fluency takes precedence. No doubt.

So, as I previously implied, the first sentence is unnatural. We cannot consider that as ungrammatical. Correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.