Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have a problem of tenses.
Once, I talked to my English teacher, I said "Last semester, our group needed to choose a forum and analyse slang. One of our groupmates chose a Korean forum. I didn't want to choose that because nobody speaks Korean except the groupmate."
My English teacher corrected my speech to "...nobody spoke Korean.." He explained that since I didn't know if the other groupmates could speak Korean later and maybe some of them had learned it next semester so I should use the past tense.
But What if I'm sure they can't speak Korean, can I keep the tense present?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a problem with tenses.
[space break]
Once, I talked to my English teacher. I said, "Last semester, our group needed to choose a forum and analyse slang. One of our groupmates chose a Korean forum. I didn't want to choose that because nobody speaks Korean except the groupmate."
[space break]
My English teacher corrected my speech to "...nobody spoke Korean.." He explained that since I didn't know if the other groupmates could speak Korean later and maybe some of them had learned it next semester [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] I should use the past tense.
[space break]
But what if I'm sure they still can't speak Korean? [or: But what if I'm sure they can't speak Korean now?] Can I keep the tense present?

I suggested using still or now to make it clearer that you're talking about the present. Neither is necessary, but either is helpful.
Yes.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I found I was unclear in the last paragraph:oops:. It should be "What if I was sure that they still couldn't speak Korean when I talked to my English teacher? Can I keep the tense present for "nobody speaks Korean" in that conversation?"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found I was unclear in the last paragraph:oops:. It should be "What if I was sure that they still couldn't speak Korean when I talked to my English teacher? Can I keep the tense present for "nobody speaks Korean" in that conversation?"
I answered that above: Yes. If they still don't speak it now, you can keep the present tense.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
To avoid the doubt of whether they would be able to speak Korean later, I think the past tense is better and more consistent. Using past tense does not mean they would from being able to speak the Korean later.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To avoid the doubt of whether they would be able to speak Korean later, I think the past tense is better and more consistent. Using past tense does not mean they would from being able to speak the Korean later.
Yes, I agree. I'm simply answering the question when I say that if they don't speak Korean now, the present tense would also be correct.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don't understand the use of "would from being" in the following sentence.
Using past tense does not mean they would from being able to speak the Korean later.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't understand the use of "would from being" in the following sentence.

Sorry. What I meant was:
...they would not be able to speak Korean later.

Status
Not open for further replies.