Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello Dear Teachers,

Could you please kindly write about what the original form of bold sentence was (I mean the none-finite adjective clause before it was reduced)?
I am so familiar with clause and each type of them, but this example dosen't make sense to me at all.
I mean, it would be far more helpful to me to show in example than in theory way only.
Thanks in advance.

context:
"I plan my trips very carefully for at least three months before I leave, reading about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books. "

For example, Do the following consider to be right form of caluse before reduction?
-> I , was reading about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books, plan my trips very carefully for at least three months before I leave.

OR
->
I plan my trips very carefully for at least three months before I leave, which was reading about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books.

Source: IELTS Cambridge Grammar

Last edited:

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
I don't know about the grammatical terms you are using, however, I can tell you with certainty that the original sentence is okay, though I'd write it slightly differently to remove a little ambiguity.

The second two sentences do not work, though the last one could be fixed by replacing "whic [sic] was" with "by".

I would also prefer a semicolon instead of the comma on the original sentence.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I plan my trips very carefully by reading about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books for at least three months before I leave.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
I don't know about the grammatical terms you are using, however, I can tell you with certainty that the original sentence is okay, though I'd write it slightly differently to remove a little ambiguity.

The second two sentences do not work, though the last one could be fixed by replacing "whic [sic] was" with "by".

I would also prefer a semicolon instead of the comma on the original sentence.

Thanks dear teacher.
First, am I right about calling "bold sentence" the redcued form of none-finite adjective clause or not ?
Second, To be more precise, I have trouble undrestanding the usage of 'none-finite adjective clause' on the original sentence.
I just want to know what the main form of " reading about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books" was before implying reduction?

For example:
Mark came into the room, bringing his brother with him.
Mark ,who was bringing his brother with him ,came into the room.The children got on the bus, waving their hands at the people.
The children ,who waving their hands at the people,got on the bus.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
I plan my trips very carefully by reading about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books for at least three months before I leave.
Thanks dear Matthew.
Why 'by' was removed? what does we call this type of grammar rule(putting prepositional phrase at the end of a sentence)?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. I cut an apple by using a knife.
2. I cut an apple using a knife.

Without 'by', the gerund phrase becomes a participial phrase.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I just want to know what the main form of " reading about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books" was before implying reduction?
I read about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books for at least three months before I leave. I plan my trips very carefully by doing so.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
1. I cut an apple by using a knife.
2. I cut an apple using a knife.

Without 'by', the gerund phrase becomes a participial phrase.
Thanks.
So I was wrong about it. The sentence after comma is not as 'adjective clause'. It is just a prepositional phrase.
"I plan my trips very carefully for at least three months before I leave, reading about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books. "

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The bold part is a present participial phrase modifying the first 'I', the subject.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Thanks dear teacher.
First, am I right about calling "bold sentence" the redcued form of none-finite adjective clause or not ?
Second, To be more precise, I have trouble undrestanding the usage of 'none-finite adjective clause' on the original sentence.

For example:
Mark came into the room, bringing his brother with him.
Mark ,who was bringing his brother with him ,came into the room.The children got on the bus, waving their hands at the people.
The children ,who waving their hands at the people,got on the bus.
I am sorry, nininaz, I am not the right person to ask about grammar beyond the basics. I teach language, not grammar :)

You are in good hands with Matthew, and there are many more here than can help you...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

"I plan my trips very carefully for at least three months before I leave, in (during) which time I read about the places I am going to visit on the Internet and in books."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.