Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all.
As far as I know "not to mention" means in addition to. I would like to know if I use the linker correctly in the following:

"It was everyone's dream to rub shoulders with the finest players and to get acquaintance with the superior skills not to mention the fitness level of the experienced players"

What I want to say is it's everyone's dream to be enlisted in the national team where you can fight alongside with the finest player, to learn their skills and to reach their fitness level where others could only dream of.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all.
As far as I know "not to mention" means in addition to. I would like to know if I use the linker correctly in the following:

"It was everyone's dream to rub shoulders with the finest players and to get acquaintance with the superior skills not to mention the fitness level of the experienced players"

What I want to say is it's everyone's dream to be enlisted in the national team where you can play with with the finest players, to learn their skills and to reach fitness levels that others can only dream of.

That's achieved through hard work. (Reaching that fitness level.)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
As far as I know, "not to mention" means in addition to. I would like to know if I have used it [STRIKE]the linker[/STRIKE] correctly as a linking device in the following:
"It was everyone's dream to rub shoulders with the finest players and to get [STRIKE]acquaintance[/STRIKE] acquainted with their superior skills, not to mention to reach the fitness level of the experienced players".
"Not to mention" means "and". See above.

What I want to say is it's everyone's dream to be enlisted in the national team where you can [STRIKE]fight[/STRIKE] play alongside/with the finest players, to learn their skills and to reach their fitness levels, which [STRIKE]where[/STRIKE] others [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] can only dream of.
Use "alongside" or "with", not both.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Ironically, 'not to mention' precedes something you are about to mention.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "get acquainted with their superior skills". See them in action close up?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ironically, 'not to mention' precedes something you are about to mention.

Yes, it's often a rhetorical trick to mention something while disavowing that you are doing so.

learning101

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "get acquainted with their superior skills". See them in action close up?

To watch and learn. Hope I use the correct word.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To watch and learn. I hope I used the correct word.

Perhaps:

I want to learn from them by observing their techniques up close.

And maybe you'd also like to get some helpful pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.