Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
1. I was notified of this late.
2. I was notified late of this.
3. I was notified of this incident late.
4. I was notified late of this incident.

Are these ok?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Why don't you tell us what you're talking about? What was the incident? Are you in a situation where you were required to be notified? In short, context.

Sentences 2 and 4 sound odd.

1 and 3 could work in a formal context.

But if you give us context, we can give you a better answer.

Talab1234

Member Type
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
I was supposed to be notified of something but it was done late (delayed)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
You haven't told us anything more than you did earlier. You've just used different words.

What was that "something"?
Why were you supposed to be notified about it? (Did you have a right to be notified? I'm asking just in case you're confusing "notified" with "informed".)

Talab1234

Member Type
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
You haven't told us anything more than you did earlier. You've just used different words.

What was that "something"?
Why were you supposed to be notified about it? (Did you have a right to be notified? I'm asking just in case you're confusing "notified" with "informed".
There are two scenarios: one is a meeting and one is an accident.

So 1 and 3 are possible?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Why's it so difficult to provide details?

Regarding the meeting, is it a meeting you were supposed to attend? If so, I'd expect "I wasn't informed on time" or something similar.

Regarding the accident, why did you need to be notified about it? Are you a police officer? A relative of someone injured? A politician? I'm not going to keep asking you for context. Perhaps someone else will answer your question.

Talab1234

Member Type
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Is it so difficult to provide details?

Regarding the meeting, is it a meeting you were supposed to attend? If so, I'd expect "I wasn't informed on time" or something similar.

Regarding the accident, why did you need to be notified about it? Are you a police officer? A relative of someone injured? A politician? I'm not going to keep asking you for context. Perhaps someone else will answer your question.
Yes I am the person’s line manager. Ok, thanks. My questions is if it’s possible (in any case/context)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Which person?

If you're some person's "line manager", how is that related to the accident? Or the meeting?

Last edited:

Talab1234

Member Type
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Which person?

If you're some person's "line manager", how is that related to the accident? Or the meeting?
I am a person’s line manager. There was an incident/ meeting that I should have been notified of. It was not done on time.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
What's that person's connection to the incident or meeting? Why do you mention this person?

See post #6.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Users who answer other users' questions here will usually ask you for context because the same words used in a different context may not be appropriate or natural. You will always get a better answer if you provide context - the more precise it is, the better the answer. This will give you a word or expression that you can actually use when speaking English.

Without context, there are many words and/or expressions that are "possible". Whether using these words/expressions later in an actual conversation in English will make you sound like a proficient user and guarantee you're going to be understood the way you meant to be understood depends on in what context you use them.

Yes, sentences 1 and 3 are "possible". They may or may not be what you want to use, though.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
My questions is if it’s possible (in any case/context)
Any sentence is possible in the right context. Even if the sentence is nonsense, it's possible in a context where someone is supposed to speak nonsense.

If you're asking about a sentence, please tell us the context you have in mind so that we can give you an accurate answer.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think "notified" (implies giving of notice) is a better word to use that "informed". You are just informed of an incident by your subordinate late.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I don't think "notified" (implies giving of notice) is a better word to use that "informed".
Yes. Not necessarily at least. It could be a better word at times. It depends on the context (which we don't have, and which I've been asking for, and which I doubt we'll get).

Status
Not open for further replies.