Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I had select Mr. John to be the Head Perfect for the year 1973. Now he came back to thank the school.
He donated one thousand to the school.

Is this sentence correct? Can I use NOW and CAME in this sentence?

I had selected Mr. John to be the Head Prefect for the year 1973. Now he came back to thank the school.
He donated one thousand to the school.

Is this sentence correct? Can I use NOW and CAME in this sentence?
OK except for corrections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can.

"In stories and accounts of past events, 'now' is used to refer to the particular time that is being written or spoken about."

She felt a little better now.
It was too late now for Blake to lock his room door.
By now it was completely dark outside.

(Collins Dictionary)

I had selected Mr. John* to be as the Head Perfect for the year 1973. Now he's come came back to thank us, and the school.
He
he's donated one thousand $1,000 to the school.
* While it's possible, it's unlikely that the person's surname is "John". In English, we do not typically use Mr + [first name]. We use Mr + [first name surname], or Mr + [surname].
For example:
Mr John Connolly. ✔️
Mr Connolly.
✔️
Mr John.
❌

Also, note the use of the present perfect he's (= he has). The present perfect connects the past with the present.

"While it's possible, it's unlikely that the person's surname is "John".
How about: Elton John, Olivia Newton John, Tommy John et al.?

I have two questions:

1. Why use the past perfect tense in the first sentence? I think the past tense is more appropriate.

2. Is it selected as or selected to be?

Last edited:
"While it's possible, it's unlikely that the person's surname is "John".
How about: Elton John, Olivia Newton John, Tommy John et al.?
I didn't say it was wrong. I said it was unlikely. Reread my comment. I still say that "John" is typically a first name, not a surname. Oh, and by the way, Elton John's real name is Reginald Kenneth Dwight.

1. Why use the past perfect tense in the first sentence? I think the past tense is more appropriate.
Either tense is possible in the above. The past perfect works because the "selection" took place prior to the "coming back", with a significant period in between, during which many other events are assumed to have taken place.
2. Is it selected as or selected to be?
I prefer "as".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back