Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. Obituary
2. Remembrance Newspaper Advertisement

Are the above phrases to express the announcement of the deceased on the newspaper to detail the date and time of the funeral correct?

Are there any other suggestion?

Ju

J

J&K Tutoring

Obituary is the correct term. Your number 2 sounds like it might be a Chinese translation of Obituary that was then translated back into English.

Sometimes the term Death Notice may be used.

In US newspapers, an obituary will often have more information than just the date and time for funeral services. Usually, there will be some information on the deceased's life- his family, work, community service, etc.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me an obituary is a biographical article about someone important, famous, etc, who has died. It's not about time and place of the funeral, though this can sometimes be mentioned.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Slightly off-topic, but many Britsh newspapers keep a regularly up-dated library of obituaries of well-know people who are still alive. If these people die just before the paper is printed, the obituary is ready.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
To me an obituary is a biographical article about someone important, famous, etc, who has died. It's not about time and place of the funeral, though this can sometimes be mentioned.

Then, shall I say Death Notice if obituary is not approprite?

Ju

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, a Death Notice is an announcement placed in the newspaper by the family/friends of the deceased. They provide the wording and information and the funeral director contacts the newspaper to have the information published. There is a fee for this service, which is why not every person who dies gets a Death Notice. (Those fees can add up, since newspapers charge by the word; when my mother-in-law passed away, my grieving father-in-law was insistent in listing what seemed like her entire family tree and the Notice ended up costing over $300. When my Dad passed away this past May, Mom and I decided that a few phone calls and emails were enough to notify friends and family - those who'd kept in touch enough to know that Dad had been very ill for a while - and we didn't place a Death Notice.)

An Obituary is an expanded Death Notice written by the local newspaper staff. Someone on the "Death Desk" has the job of reviewing all the daily Death Notices to see if there is anyone of prominence or with an interesting past (a war hero, a person with the world's largest collection of ceramic frogs, etc) and then will write a detailed column about that person. There is no charge to anyone and no fees involved for an Obituary; the newspaper arbitrarily chooses folks to spotlight in order to fill the space on the page layout and attract attention to the whole Death Notice page.

In summary, in the US newspaper business, anyone (as long as they are deceased) can have a Death Notice published, but not every dead person merits an Obituary.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Obituary
2. Remembrance Newspaper Advertisement

Are the above phrases to express the announcement of the deceased on the newspaper to detail the date and time of the funeral correct?

Are there any other suggestion?

Ju

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I am looking at the copy of today's Los Angeles Times, which some people

consider to be the best American newspaper after The New York Times, The Wall

Street Journal, and The Washington Post.

(2) Let's see how it handles this matter:

(a) On page AA5, under the heading "Obituaries," there are two long articles

written by their reporters. One article is about the life achievements of a university

president; the other, about a rock 'n' roll song writer.

(b) On page AA4 is this heading: Obituaries/ Funeral Announcements.

(i) Nineteen people have paid to place articles about the lives of their

dear ones. Some of the obituaries say: Services will be held ...; others

say: Her funeral was on ....

(ii) Two people paid for space in a section called "Funeral Notices" in order to

announce upcoming funerals. They are not considered obituaries, for there was

almost nothing about their lives, except for the fact they both worked in law

enforcement.

(iii) One person paid to place an advertisement in a section called "In Memoriam."

Someone wanted to remember E.P., who died on this day in 2004.

(iv) Finally, there is this notice to readers:

To place an obituary ad[vertisement] please go online to: ...

or call Ms. P 1-800 - XXX - XXXX

(Apparently, the fourth best American newspaper uses the word "obituary"

for paid advertisements from people who want to announce the death of a

loved one in order to recall his/her achievements in life and to announce scheduled

or past funerals.)

American newspapers usually give the cause of death in the obituaries of famous

people; but the cause is not given in the paid advertisements placed by family

members. (I have noticed that British newspapers usually do not mention the

cause of death in their obituaries of famous people.)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Apparently, the fourth best American newspaper uses the word "obituary"

for paid advertisements from people who want to announce the death of a

loved one in order to recall his/her achievements in life and to announce scheduled

or past funerals.

That's the term I have seen in the newspapers here. No distinction made between "obituary" and "death notice" as posited above.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Slightly off-topic, but many Britsh newspapers keep a regularly up-dated library of obituaries of well-know people who are still alive. If these people die just before the paper is printed, the obituary is ready.

Equally tangential- many lawyers don't recommend placing details of times and places of funerals as burglars are big readers of such notices. :shocked!:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's the term I have seen in the newspapers here. No distinction made between "obituary" and "death notice" as posited above.

That was the policy of the Detroit Free Press, obviously not among the top 1,025 newspapers in the U.S. ;-) Of course, that was also back in the 1980s when I worked there for a bit. Newspapers are hurting badly for money now, so they may have changed their death listings procedures in order to generate some income.

Status
Not open for further replies.