Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is from the English test paper of National College Entrance Exams, China, 2019.

Fill in each blank with one word or use the proper form of the words given.
(The answers are given)

The polar bear is found in the Arctic Circle and some big land masses as far south as Newfoundland. While they are rare north of 88°,there is evidence 61 that they range all the way across the Arctic, and as far south as James Bay in Canada. It is difficult to figure out a global population of polar bears as much of the range has been 62 poorly (poor) studied; however, biologists calculate that there are about 20,000-25,000 polar bears worldwide.
Modem methods 63 of/for tracking polar bear populations have been employed only since the mid-1980s,and are expensive 64 to perform (perform) consistently over a large area. In recent years some Inuit people in Nunayut 65 have reported (report) increases in bear sightings around human settlements, leading to a 66 belief (believe) that populations are increasing. Scientists have responded by 67 noting (note) that hungry bears may be congregating around human settlements, leading to the illusion that populations are 68 higher (high) than they actually are. Of 69 the nineteen recognized polar bear subpopulations, three are declining, six 70 are (be) stable, one is increasing, and nine lack enough data.

For Question 69, I think “all” is also correct. What do you say?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I say it isn't correct. The answer is the.

For a start, using all would suggest that the 19 subpopulations have been mentioned previously, which they haven't.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
For a start, using all would suggest that the 19 subpopulations have been mentioned previously, which they haven't.
But doesn't the use of "the" do exactly that too?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But doesn't the use of "the" do exactly that too?

I don't think so, no. The fact that there are nineteen is new (statistical) information. Here's another way of looking at what the sentence is doing.

If we simplify the sentence to this:

Of the nineteen recognised polar bear subpopulations, three are declining.

and then rearrange both sentences to a more 'normal' word order, you get something like this:

Three of the nineteen recognised polar bear subpopulations are declining.
? Three of all nineteen recognised polar bear subpopulations are declining.

I think it's a bit easier to see now how all doesn't work, and how a simple the does the job. I claim it's because the statistical information (i.e., 3 and 19) is being presented, and referred to, for the first time. By using all, there would have to be a reason for emphasising that 3 is meant in relation to 19, not to any less.

Status
Not open for further replies.