... of the Christian Religion to be a "holy doctrine which no man might speak against."

Status
Not open for further replies.

umember

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
None of the grammar rules I've searched online address my question. So here's hoping. :)

I need to quote the following two statements. None of the quotation marks that you see are mine. I will only put double quotation marks outside both. But do I also need to put single quotation marks anywhere... like where they used quotation marks?

In November 1552 the Geneva Council declared Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion to be a "holy doctrine which no man might speak against." Disagreeing with Calvin’s view of God was a violation warranting the death penalty according to the way John Calvin interpreted Leviticus 24:16.

While instituting many positive policies, Calvin’s government also punished "impiety" and dissent against his particularly spare vision of Christianity with execution. In the first five years of his rule in Geneva, 58 people were executed and 76 exiled for their religious beliefs.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, use single quotes to denote a quote within your quote.

"The teacher told them 'be quiet' when the class got too loud."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, use single quotes to denote a quote within your quote.

"The teacher told them 'Be quiet' when the class got too loud."

I'd use a capital "B" there because the quoted words constitute the complete sentence that the teacher uttered. I don't know if that's different in AmE.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The quotes in the above quotes are not complete, so don't require capital letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.