one (is) of theft and the other (is) of robbery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can 'is' be left out?

1- Two cases have been registered against him, one (is) of theft and the other (is of robbery.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can 'is' be left out?

1- Two cases have been registered against him, one (is) of theft and the other (is) of robbery.
Both instances of "is" should be removed, mainly because "of" is wrong. It should be "for" (both times).

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Both instances of "is" should be removed, mainly because "of" is wrong. It should be "for" (both times).
I mean to say 'one case is of theft' and 'the other case is of robbery'. Why should I use 'for'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I mean to say 'one case is of theft' and 'the other case is of robbery'. Why should I use 'for'?
I understood what you were trying to say but "of" is the wrong preposition. Here's the natural version:

Two cases have been registered against him - one for theft and the other for robbery.

(Note that I have left "cases have been registered" because it might be right in a variant of English. In the UK, I would expect "He has been charged with two crimes" or something similar.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In AmE it is very common to refer to criminal charges as "counts". For example: Joe was charged with three counts of armed robbery. By the way, in legal jargon robbery is theft by means of violence or the threat of violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.