Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Are the two explanations below for the same sentence in the two different contexts both correct?

1. We found that ten students had gang affiliation.
Six of the ten students who were found to have gang affiliation were arrested.
=>Ten students were affiliated with a gang. Six of them were arrested.

2. I had ten students in my class this morning. This afternoon, six of the ten students who were found to have gang affiliation were arrested.
=>There were ten students. Six of them were found to have gang affiliation and got arrested.

I know a sentence with a comma as in "Six of the ten students, who were found to have gang affiliation, were arrested." fits the second explanation better and is much clearer, but I would like to know if the second one without the comma is also acceptable, as in "I am the only one of the students who has won the medal", which implies that one of the students has won the medal while the rest have not. The relative noun refers to the "one" not "the students"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I know a sentence with a comma as in "Six of the ten students, who were found to have gang affiliation, were arrested." fits the second explanation better and is much clearer
Yes.
bbut I would like to know if the second one without the comma is also acceptable,
No. It means that, of the ten students who were found to have gang affiliation, six were arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.