Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't understand "or protection against nature conservation". The phrase sounds clueless. Whose protection? Protection of what? I have no clue. The best guess I've got is that it might refer to "the protection of your logging activities." I am not sure.

=================

“Dear logging companies, should you ever need to justify your destructive and extractive (illegal) activities in the Amazon + SE Asia, or protection against nature conservation NGO’s [nongovernmental organizations] or legal action, please refer to the following paper in @CurrentBiology,” primatologist Adriano Lameira of the University of Warwick wrote in one of several sarcastic tweets about the paper.

Source: Science
Claim that coconut oil is worse for biodiversity than palm oil sparks furious debate
By Dyna Rochmyaningsih Jul. 17, 2020
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...e-biodiversity-palm-oil-sparks-furious-debate

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
should if you (logging companies) ever need to justify your destructive and extractive (illegal) activities in the Amazon + SE Asia, or protection against nature conservation NGO’s, [nongovernmental organizations] or legal action, please refer to the following paper

In the above, "should" means if.

I added the writing in blue to clarify the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.