Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I've seen these in "SUMMIT 1, PP. 121, Joan Saslow, Allen Ascher"
1. Her new destructive green parrot
2. That young intelligent South American student
I think for the first example the quality adjective, destructive, comes before the age which is not a usual order and for the second one it has the age before intelligent which is the quality adjective. I believe the orders here are not usual based on the rule I've learned.
Determiners, Quality or Opinion, Size, Age, Shape, Color, Origin, Material + the noun

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It all depends on the context, and what you are trying to emphasise.

If her previous green parrot was destructive as well, then the emphasis is on the fact that this is a new destructive green parrot. If you wish to emphasise that her new parrot is destructive, then it's "her destructive new parrot".

The same goes for the South American student. Whichever quality you wish to emphasise comes first.

I have to say that, as a native BrE speaker, I have never come across the list of "Determiners, Quality or Opinion, Size, Age, Shape, Color, Origin, Material + the noun".

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It all depends on the context, and what you are trying to emphasise.

If her previous green parrot was destructive as well, then the emphasis is on the fact that this is a new destructive green parrot. If you wish to emphasise that her new parrot is destructive, then it's "her destructive new parrot".

The same goes for the South American student. Whichever quality you wish to emphasise comes first.

I have to say that, as a native BrE speaker, I have never come across the list of "Determiners, Quality or Opinion, Size, Age, Shape, Color, Origin, Material + the noun".

I remember someone once said, the more durable the adjective is, the nearer it is to the noun modified. It means that because the material is something really basic and durable for the noun, so we place it at the end and because the quality or opinion is not that durable or basic we put it at the beginning. Do you agree?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That sounds like a reasonable rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.