Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Good day.

Could you tell me pls, does an passive adjective have to implicate a meaning that it was made only by SOMEONE as it is meant in passive verbs:

Clara has seen a fallen picture. (Can I say like this meaning that the picture was fallen by itself not involving anyone as in contrary "Clara has seen a picture to be fallen")

The question is more about verbs like "brake" or "improve"

The whole issue is about the following:

"Awaiting the weather to be improved." (If because of this construction I must implicate someone to do it so I can't say like this due to weather changes itself and use only "awating the weather to improve"?)

Awaiting improved weather( Does it mean the "improved" imply someone who changed or it's ok and it meant weather improved by itself)

Thank you

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, there doesn't have to be an implication that 'someone' was involved.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Good day.[/STRIKE] Overly formal and unnecessary. "Hello" is fine but we really don't need a greeting.

Could you tell me [STRIKE]pls[/STRIKE] please, [STRIKE]does[/STRIKE] if [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a passive adjective [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] has to [STRIKE]implicate a meaning[/STRIKE] imply that it [STRIKE]was made only by[/STRIKE] happened because of SOMEONE, as it [STRIKE]is meant in[/STRIKE] does with passive verbs? For example:

Clara has seen a fallen picture.

Can I say [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] this [STRIKE]meaning[/STRIKE] to mean that the picture [STRIKE]was fallen[/STRIKE] fell by itself [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] without involving anyone as in contrary (I don't know what you mean by the underlined part) "Clara has seen a picture to be fallen"? The underlined sentence is not grammatical.

[STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] My question [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] relates more [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] to verbs like "brake" or "improve".

The whole issue is about the following: I don't know what you mean by the underlined part.

"Awaiting the weather to be improved." This is not a complete sentence and it's not grammatical.

(If, because of this construction, I must implicate someone, [STRIKE]to do it[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] I think I can't say it like this [STRIKE]due to[/STRIKE] because the weather changes itself, and I should use [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] "awaiting the weather to improve"?) Your revised version is not a complete sentence and it is not grammatical.

"Awaiting improved weather." (Does [STRIKE]it mean the[/STRIKE] "improved" imply that someone [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] changed it or [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] is it [STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK and [STRIKE]it meant[/STRIKE] means that the weather improved by itself?)

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above.

None of your examples about the weather are complete, nor are they grammatical. You need something like "I am waiting for better weather" or "I am waiting for the weather to improve".

Status
Not open for further replies.